What can i give my son?

He is super congested and he is getting pissed he has to breathe through his mouth....Is there anything I can give him?.....By the way he is 19 months.

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 11:28 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call your doctor for medication recommendations. Though they'll probably say not to give them anything.
    Vicks Vapor Rub is my suggestion though. It always works for my kids.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Not really. You can try:
    -Take him in the bathroom, close the door, and run the shower as hot as you can so the room fills with steam, the snot will thin & run.
    -Saline drops & a snot sucker, like with a baby.
    -Vicks, if you don't like to put it on him you can put it on you, then a thin shirt, and let him lay on you, or just put a dab on a tissue and hold it close to him while snuggling him.
    -A little baby ibuprofen can help take the swelling down in his nasal passages and help open them up a little.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Have you tried teaching him to blow his nose? My daughter is 15 months and has this problem a lot with congestion. We just recently taught her to blow when we hold the tissue to her nose. it has helped a lot!! She even will walk up to me blowing stuff out and I have to run and get a tissue to clean her up but it gets the stuff out of her nose.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• the first answer by anonymous was the best. we have allergies, asthma and anything else that can clog our breathing. My granddaughter uses a nebulizer. (typo?) and has for months. She's 15 months old. I share mine with her when she's here and maybe laughing too much and then wheezing with me.
    kbutts

Answer by kbutts at 11:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• This is the first time we have had a problem with this....he has never been sick but i think it is because he is teething and it dosnt help when my husband turns up the heat in the middle of the night. I always get like that when the temp is messed with at night. But thanks for all the help....Ill have to see what I can do. I just have to try to get him to sit still first lol
    Shelii

Comment by Shelii (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Nasal aspirator and saline drops. They can work wonders.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I go with the doctors medice maybe you can give him nasal theraphy with agua salina y butiferol and use the nose pump to substact all that mucus from nose, keep him in observation.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Try filling the bathroom with steam from a hot shower... put some baby vics on his chest and back.. once the steam is all gone squirt some saline solution in his nose, and use a baby sucker to get it out.. used to work wonders with my dd.
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 6:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I was going to give you all the same answers you've gotten already. I would also try not to give milk until he is better.
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 7:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• vaporizer, tylenol, vapor bath.....
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2011