What do you consider abuse?

I am increasingly frustrated reading nonsense posts about "abuse". And replies saying call CPS. Quit jamming CPS up with cases that are not abuse but simply you not approving of how someone else is raising their child. Let them handle cases of actual abuse. Do you not watch the news? Kids and women die ever day in this country at the hands of their abuser. What if CPS had gotten a call about that situation and not had time to get to them yet because they had to investigate other cases of non-abuse.

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 11:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I have friends who are CPS workers. Abuse is defined by CAPTA (The Federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act):

"Any recent act or failure to act on the part of a parent or caretaker, which results in death, serious physical or emotional harm, sexual abuse, or exploitation, or an act or failure to act which presents an imminent risk of serious harm"

CPS cannot take action in cases where someone disagrees with a parenting style. They can make recommendations. But to go to court and have a child removed is hard and cannot have a laughable reason. A judge has to hear these cases and decide if they have merit. Not the CPS worker alone.

Answer by gemgem at 11:49 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• – collapse
    spanking
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Spanking on the bottom is legal under the guidelines. This is a free country and we can raise our children as we see fit as long as we are not causing serious injury. It is not something CPS will deal with, unless it leaves bruises.

Answer by gemgem at 11:51 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Hitting your child for no reason.
    Spanking or hitting cause your child is crying
    locking your children in there room or straving them
    taking your anger out on them
    forcing them to do things they don't want to do
    Brusing your children from head to toe

Spanking isn't illegal and you can discipline your children the way you want but if your leaving marks you can get into trouble.

I spank my children rarely and I never let my emotion take over when that happens is when abuse starts.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:52 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Everything my bio mother did to me. Now THOSE are reasons to call CPS.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• gemgem

I know but reports have to be checked out.
    treynlisa

Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Anon....why is spanking abuse?.....I dont see how a pat on the behind is abuse....now smacking them and beating them is a whole different story....But I dont see a problem with spanking....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• anon: spanking is NOT abuse. A parent can spank thier child, as long as it's with an open hand and doesn't leave ANY mark.

Gem Gem: You cannot cause ANY injury to a child from spanking or it is abuse. But you definition and source is amazing!!! I even have that source saved in my favorites. As someone who is studying to become a social worker, it is a resource that I use often.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i think abuse is like... leaving your child home alone for extended periods of time when they have no way to care for themselves, excessively beating them or locking them in places for hours
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• As a child I was abused. My dad often whipped me with the buckle end of the belt which cut into my legs. He broke 2 of my ribs sitting on my chest, kicked me down the stairs, stomped on my head, and busted my head open with a fire log. Do NOT tell me spanking a child on their bottom in a reasonable manner is abuse!!!!!
    treynlisa

Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2011