Why are so many ppl against it?

This has been bugging me every since i asked a question on here a few days ago. Why are so many ppl against spanking a child when needed. My son is 2 and knows very well what a spanking is and why he would be getting one. I don't spank him everyday just when something happens that requires one. I just don't understand why ppl are so anti spanking? And jump my case when i post a question that mentioned i spanked my son.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• At that age it isnt the way it is recommended to punish a child is why. We are teaching them right from wrong and not to hit. When you hit your child (and that is how their developing mind sees it) you are sending a mixed signal. Out of 5 children I have not had to spank but one of them. My youngest has had to get minor spankings in the past year because she acts up at school. She is almost 6 yrs old. I would never consider spanking a regular punishment though when there are other ways to punish a child that are more effective like redirecting, time out, and what not.

Answer by gemgem at 12:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I am not against spanking. My kids would rather be spanked than go to time out. So I usually put them in time out :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• imo it's a 50/50 mix of spankers and non. however, there's a LOT of people who spank and are too ashamed to admit it. good for you for not being afraid to discipline you own child in the way that works best for you, him, your life, your family. you seem sharp enough to know the difference between discipline and abuse and that's where the controversy is it.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I don't spank. I'm not against it, and I don't judge those that do - it's just not right for my family. There are many reasons people are against it; the argument that spanking is violence, that sometimes parents can't control themselves, that it teaches children that hitting is ok, etc. I think that if it works for you, and it's never more than a light tap that you're not doing anything wrong.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I don't believe in spanking. I never spank my child. My siblings don't spank their children. My parents didn't spank us.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I grew up with discipline that involved spanking i honestly see nothing wrong with it. But i think some ppl are against it because everyone has a different view on spanking. Everyone has different limits. for example some one one might see a spanking as a tap on the booty and another might see it as using a belt. there are just different extremes. there for no one agrees cause their mind jumps to the worst conclusion.
    Shortma197

Answer by Shortma197 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I do and I have no shame. I have seen so many children so wild and disrespectful to there parents they need to be spanked. Goodness just the other day I seen a little girl yell at her mom and the mom said she was going to go to her room if she doesn't behave and the girl told her mom to go to her room.. Everyone is different but if that was kid I would have spanked and sent to there room.

My uncle spanked his kids til they were 6 years old and they are the most respectful children you will ever meet.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Because everyone is a bunch of pc, p***ies now. There isnt a darn thing wrong with spanking as long as u know the line between spanking and abuse... I was spanked as a kid, and my son (who is only 6 wks old) will be spanked when he gets older. I feel if u explain to the child why they are being spanked, and let them know u still love them, and don't cross that line, there's is absolutely nothing wrong with spanking!
    molly_beth13

Answer by molly_beth13 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I wouldn't care who's against it ,my child is mine if the danm kid needs spanking he will get it i'm will tolerate a rude obnoxious child trust they will think you later. if you care about what these moms in here are saying to other mom you would never be on cafemom just ignore some ignorance. As some of them say" DON"T FEED THE TROLL" lol just do you it's your child.
    soraya14

Answer by soraya14 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• im not against it, but i think that time outs are more effective
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2011