How do you (or can you) train your child to be a heavier sleeper?

My one-year-old is such a light sleeper that we pretty much have to tip-toe through the house at night and whisper to each other from one room to the next just so we don't disturb him. Training him to be a heavier sleeper seems impossible because if we be loud to get him used to it being loud, then he'll wake up after sleeping for a couple hours and want to play and eat. So what's the trick?

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• i'm sorry but that's something learned as an infant. were you always quiet when he was an infant. you're supposed to vacuum and be load when they are sleeping because it makes them deep sleepers. it's too late to learn it now :(
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• From the time we brought all of our kids home we haven't been quiet when they are sleeping. My youngest (now 3), can sleep through band practice.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I think people are naturally light sleepers or heavy sleepers. My neice uses a sound machine in her baby's room and maybe that would help. It would block out some of the noise from other rooms.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• We haven't really made it a point to be quiet while he slept. We certainly didn't change anything when he was born, and my two older boys never had such sleeping issues. My 2 yr old can sleep through a lot. So I don't know why he's having such a problem.
    Sharell8710

Comment by Sharell8710 (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i used to play music while my son was falling asleep, we started with quiet music, and then just turned it up every so often when he zonked out. eventually we got to the point where we can vacume while he sleeps so long as its not in his room.
    Lakoia

Answer by Lakoia at 12:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Some kids are just lighter sleepers. My first 2 are decent sleepers, but my youngest is a very light sleeper.

It has always been noisy around her- we made noise and talked and yelled and played near her. And guess what? She ALWAYS woke up! From her very first days, on every day through now when she is 2 (say, we are on a car trip and there is a miracle and she is sleeping- stop the car and she is awake!). Luckily, the other 2 slept enough at night that the fact that she seldom napped more than 1/2 hour at a time before being woke up, wasn't the end of the world. And if I had the kids in another area of the house and it was quiet, she napped OK.

I think (at least most of) the people who say that they trained their kids to be heavy sleepers by being noisy around them just got lucky and started out with good sleepers
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• White noise can sometimes help. On the plus side, maybe he'll not be a bed wetter. Bed wetting is often associated with deep sleepers.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My baby only slept 30 min. at atime when she was first born...OMG, I know how you feel. I just had to get her used to noise and now she sleeps better with it. Good luck and you have my sympathy. Hugs!
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 2:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• my son is the same way, we used to have to tip toe around his room or he would wake up. I bought a sound machine off amazon, it was the greatest thing i ever did!
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 6:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2011