Who else have parents who keep on offering to help watch your kid but take him for several months to another State or Country?

OUT OF FREAKING WAY I WOULD HAVE MY DS AWAY FROM ME THIS LONG AND THIS FAR!!! GRRRR! My parents mean well but don't get it and keep on bringing it up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• My oldest son went to Taiwan with my husband's parents for two months last year. And then later in the year both my kids went to visit my parents for two months, several states away. I think it's great for the kids to spend time away from their parents. Not only does it give them an opportunity to really get to know their grandparents and other relatives, it gives them a chance to get to know themselves better, away from mom and dad.

I wont lie, it's hard letting them go, and not seeing them every day. But I feel it's worth it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My parents might watch my kids for a couple of hours but that's it.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I respect your opinion but I can't do it. Maybe when both my kids will be a bit older, like more than 5. But my two year old is way too small for that. And my parents should understand I don't want to and quit insisting. Hhhh.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It's not my parents who do this but yes, we do have relatives who ask this way too much and we have repeatedly explained why we say no. But they don't get it and it's more than a little irritating. I really don't see the need for that kind of thing and have to start wondering what the point would be. A few hours I can understand but several weeks or a couple of months? No. I knew parenting would be hard before I even got pregnant and don't have any interest in shipping them off for that long. It seems a little too much like parents who aren't interested in being parents and grandparents who want to try to play mom and dad instead of just being grandparents.
    Anonymous

• I agree, if you're not comfortable with it, they should stop insisting. It is hard sending them away. Personally I think it's great for character development, and I whole heartedly trust my family to take care of my children (not that you don't). Even so, I was quite depressed the whole time they were gone. More my problem than theirs, since they never even got home-sick. BTW my boys were 4 and 6 last year, and they did just fine. But it was hard on my parents too, and they said next time to send either one at a time, or send them both for a shorter amount of time.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Anon; when you live several states away, and only get to see family once or twice a year, a couple days, or a couple hours isn't enough time to really get to know someone. My parents now know my kids very well, and they know their grandparents now too. So when they talk on the phone, they have all those fond memories to put with the voices. Besides, it was my kids who asked to go visit.

FYI, I didn't do it to make my life easier, or to just get rid of them. I come from a really close family, and I spent a lot of time visiting aunts and uncles while I was growing up. It was time that I cherished, and I want to give my kids that same opportunity.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I think it doesn't help that my DS has severe food allergies that my parents do not take seriously due to generation gap. They don't get it so that is an extra worry. I understand the whole building character thing and all, and getting to know family, but not when my son is still ONLY 2! Gosh this makes me so angry. Sorry, needed to rant.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I personally wouldn't do it. A weekend away, maybe. But weeks? No.. Months???NO
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My in laws keep wanting to have my 4 yr old come to stay with them in Argentina for a month or more. So not happening.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My MIL wanted to take my son to EL Salvador for a couple of months, I wouldn't even consider it. What if something happened. Now that he is 7, I am considering letting him go for a month I'm still uneasy about it. I agree with you. I would not let a 2 year old go away from me that long.
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 2:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2011