I have a 1 year old boy. He has recently started throwing major tantrums in public. I have brought snacks, bottles, toys...nothing works. I try to put him down, he arches his back. I pick him back up, he arches his back. Sometimes we just can't up and leave where we are. what do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow, I thought I was the only one, I is fun huh? My 17 month old DD has been doing this, Only at the check out line, She likes to get out of the cart in walmart while we are checking out and play with the little toys and things they have, She pulls all of them off there When I try to have her put them back or when we are leaving,,, Drop And Flop.. and Screams.. Oh it is something and I don't know what to do with her about it...
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 9:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Wait till he grows out of this stage............. But in the mean time stand your ground!! Do not give in to him. This will only encourage this behavior. Try to ignore him when he does this. I have been through this with my daughter and i did not follow my own advice, she is 2 now and her tantrums have subsided now that i do these things. The tantrums come from him not being able to communicate effectively with you. It will get better as he gets older as long as you don't give in!! GOOD LUCK!!!
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 9:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• omg i thought my daughter was just acting like her father lol here its just normal embarrassing but apparently normal
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My kids started having tantrums early too. Dr. Sears has some good advice about this. Just be careful when they first start having tantrums they are so emotional overwhelmed by these new feeling, disappointment, anger, jealousy, that they can really hurt themselves.
    Here is a link to Dr. Sears response
    http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/db6.asp
    Roxanne0607

Answer by Roxanne0607 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• If DD is tired (aka misses her morning nap) I can guarantee an outburst. Typically, I will just ignore her. I know it is annoying to other people but it only happened a few times. I think she is having a hard time learning "no". The more I stick to my guns, the fewer the tantrums.

Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Ignore it. The more attention you give to him as he throws his fit, the longer it will last. A lot of people suggest using distractors, such as toys, but I think that you can nip it in the bud by just going about your business, as usual.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• He heee...it happens ALL the time. Quick fix. Okay, have a friend or family member on stand by for when you go out in public next time. Actually have them in the parking lot but they drove separately. Oh, and they will need your car seat or a car seat. This applies to any child of any age by the way. Then before you go into the store tell your child if he throw a tantrum, screams, cries, has a fit...ect..then you will call ____________(the person on stand by) and have them bring him home while you go shopping. When he throws his hissy fit then call your life line. Life line person comes in and scoops up little bundle of joy who is currently kicking and screaming. He/she takes kid home. You come home when you are done. Repeat over and over until kid gets tantrums out = him going home. Oh, and you can leave any place. Even if you have to leave a cart full of groceries...you can leave.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• It sounds like a regular hissy fit except for the arching of the back. That could be a sign of reflux and he might be in pain. I'm just trying to give a different perspective on the situation. Oh and I agree with PP. You can leave anywhere anytime. If he learns that tantrums lead to him going home he will stop.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 1:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• my 2 year old CJ used to throw them ALL THE TIME. we could be anywhere and he'd just start yelling and running around or writhing all over the floor. i came up with the 3's. he gets 2 warnings to stop it. if by the third time he doesn't stop i pick him up and take him in the bathroom. i swatted his butt and scolded him letting him know that that was not an ok thing to do. after a while of me standing my ground with that he eventually quit the tantrum phase. he still will occasionally cry and pout but nothing extreme like before. hope i could help and good luck =]
    raynikki14

Answer by raynikki14 at 3:00 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• What worked for us was to let our little ones know prior to our leaving the house..
    Where we were going, what we were going to be doing, what the rules and consequences were.

Note: Because they were and are young (under 5) we kept all the above in simple terms for them.

For example: Our trips to Walmart if one of them acted up then I would call daddy or a friend which ever one was waiting and have them come get the child that was acting up and take them home or out to the car and wait. After a few times of that they stoped, all except my youngest son which took longer.

One book that has helped us out more then any other is "LOVE AND LOGIC PARENTING"
    It has helped us out in many areas of parenting - with stuff didnt think of trying!

Here is the link to the website: www.loveandlogic.com/

Goodluck!
    wildiesmomma

Answer by wildiesmomma at 6:14 AM on Nov. 15, 2008