Should my daughter do kindergarten twice?

I just had a parent teacher conference this week with my daughters Pre-k teacher. She recommended that my daughter do half day kindergarten next school year (2011-2012). Then do full day kindergarten for 2012-2013 school year. My daughter's (Bella) birthday is Sept. 18. So her birthday is on the border. I feel like this might be the best thing for my Bella because it makes since to me. The teacher said it's because Bella's attention is always easily distracted and thinks it's a maturity thing. She fits the age for her class but she is one of the youngest. A lot of the kids are turning 5 while Bella will still be 4 until Sept.

What I wanted to know was, if anyone else has had this recommended and did you take it? If not, why and if yes why? I would like to hear from everyone on this. If you took the advice do you think it was a good decision and if you didn't do you wish you had?

DD goes to Pre-K everyday for half a day.

VonneMomme

Asked by VonneMomme at 12:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It sounds like you agree with the teacher; it's much better to keep her in K for one more year than to have her struggling by having her advance. My DD's birthday is 9/23, I had her tested to go into Kinder when she was 4 (almost 5), and she didn't pass. I could have enrolled her (the test was an assessment), I chose not to and enrolled her the following year. She has done very well in school - all A's and she is in 5th grade now.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I'm curious. The teacher recommended this after spending how much time with your DD?
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Sounds good to me. My son's birthday is Aug. 31. Our cut off is Sept 1. I sent him to preschool when he was 5 and then he started kindergarten a week before he turned 6. I am so glad we waited to send to kindergarten. I just don't think he was ready for kindergarten at age 5. My other son's birthday is at the end of October so he will start preschool a month before he turns 5.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• You know your child..... go with your "gut" feeling....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I would consult with the teacher again at the end of the year and see if she still recommneds it. I would do it if she does. She will really flourish if she has this advantage. One of our biggest regrets was not keeping our son back when it was recommended to us. (DH couldn't handle it).
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I'd take a more progressive approach I think. I'd start her on the 1/2 day kinder for a limited amount of time ... like say the 1st round of parent teacher conferences. Then consider bumping her to a full day.

Or the other way around start her on a FULL day and consider bumping down to a 1/2 if she couldn't handle it.

I'd give her an extra enriched summer will playdates, soccer, ballet, swimming class, etc and see what happens in the fall. my son has a weird fall b-day and as it is he'll be graduating highschool at age 18 years 8 months old which I find horrendously awful.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• If you can take her or if she needs it yes because its for more educational. if not wait for first grade
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 12:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My son turned 5 this last Sept... been in kindergarten, and he's really smart (scores high)!!! His teacher dislikes me so think she is taking it out on my son, to be perfectly honest... but my son gets bored easily, and there is no way in hell I would allow him to be held back!!! Some kids do not fit a perfect little mold... I allowed my eldest son to do kindergarten twice, he had the vocabulary of a college student (and scored high), and I can honestly say, it didn't help... he needed a few years to sit idle in a desk like a drone??? And it wasn't until Jr. High he stopped doing little things acting up??? Like once the paper towels wet down, with other kids, and sticking them to the ceiling... all kids are going to do things we don't like, they are not monsters, and if they are accademically ahead than please I beg, don't hold them back... start doing the math to when they finish 12th grade... my eldest will be over 18
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Some kids are more physically active than others... and "teaching" them to sit makes no difference what so ever!!! My eldest son was in day care, preschool, and than school.... he couldn't "sit still" because he knew it already and was bored... much like what my 5 year old is going through now??? only I chose with our 3 and 5 year old to skip the others raising my kids, and my middle son went directly into kindergarten... has the same issue, can't "sit still"... and to be perfectly honest... schools no longer allow kids to "be kids", they pick at them for perfectly NORMAL behaviors!!! My 5 year old got in trouble this year, another kid said the word "fart", and my son simply laughed?!?!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I think that you should have her do the half day thing first. I was the youngest in my class and barley made the cut to start school. And I had a hard time all through school. I had trouble with focusing in class and had a harder time trying to understand what we were learning. This is just my opinion. Just do what YOU think is best for her. Good luck!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2011