baby juice

I am going back and forth on posting a photo here but it's a smiling new Mom holding her 19 day old son feeding him a bottle of juice. I don't know the concentration of juice to water but it's juice. In the facebook comments a friend asks her WTF she's feeding him and she replies "the dr. said since I am not breastfeeding to give him juice occasionally to keep his bowels moving and not have him get constipated". ... This makes sense to me for a much older child or toddler but a brand new baby? My youngest is 4 1/2 yrs so we haven't had a baby in the house for awhile. Is this a new trend among pediatricians for formula fed babies?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what a horror! No wonder obesity and diabetes are epidemic

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• When my son was constapated they told me to give him 1oz juice for 3oz water. But not to do that more then once a month.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yikes! My youngest struggled to poop, and we gave him (on our own, but with doctor knowledge & blessing) probiotics, from 3 weeks to 15 months. She was so glad we went that route instead of juice or other medications.
    Anonymous

• It's unfortunate, but she was given bad advice. Just because a baby is fed formula, doesn't automatically mean he's going to have trouble with his bowels.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My doctor told me that diluted juice, formula or even straight water earlier than one year of age causes kidney problems. That if I were to give my baby juice it should be 100% apple juice only until 4-6 months then only those juices that are 100% juice and that my baby hasn't shown an allergy to.
    AbbysMom1017

Answer by AbbysMom1017 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i used juice at 8 months but then switched to probiotics! now juice is just a treat but still an oz watered down! never straight juice!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• it shouldn't be a full bottle of juice. it should be filled with 1oz max. and it doesn't have to be watered down if that's all she's giving the baby. if it was recommended from a doctor for a constipitated baby then it's okay
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011