How to get SO to be more involved?

Hi ladies, I'm having trouble getting the father of my 3 1/2 month old to help out with taking care of her and helping with things around the house. Don't get me wrong, he absolutely loves his daughter and me but he only likes to do the "fun" stuff with her, like play or feed her or so on...

Let me explain that I am a SAHM and he works full time + overtime. I do as much as I can around the house and do whatever needs to be done with the baby, but I feel as though he could help out even just for me to be able to cook dinner and then afterwards take a shower. I do understand he's tired from working all day but being a SAHM isn't just fun-in-the-sun all day either....

any suggestions? helpful hints? etc?

AbbysMom1017

Asked by AbbysMom1017 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• If your hubby has a day off, I would say talk to him and have him take care of the little one while you go out for a couple of hours and do something nice for yourself. Maybe a walk in the park or if you have the money something like a mani or a pedicure. Make HIM take care of her fun stuff and not so fun stuff. Sit down and come up with a schedule of some sorts where he takes and helps out so many days a week with certain things around the house. Good luck and I really hope this helps you in some sort of way!
    Bird16_J

Answer by Bird16_J at 1:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Be upfront with him and tell him you appreciate what he does do, but could he do a little more for you. Mention specific things. Like taking a shower....that should be a no brainer. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i know what u mean except my hubby spends alot of time with our baby and less time with me :( sorry i have no input on this :/
    Luckyme3487

Answer by Luckyme3487 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• No one can ever fault you for simply asking for what you need. Just tell him what you need.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I hear what your saying and we have been there. Our baby is 17 now but when he was a newborn and I also was a stay at home mommy. My husband was tender footed around our baby. He wanted to help but I confess I would hover. I would expect him to know when I needed to help. I think he didn't know what exactly what to do. You have a very detailed important job. Feeling the baby's feelings, needs and wants takes a mommy. It may be your husband knows he is not as qualified as you. Things will ease up as your baby grows.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2011