ANY OF YOUR KIDS NOT WANTING

TO GRADUATE FROM SCHOOL?
ANY READY TO DROP OUT AS SOON AS THE AGE PERMITS?

justgg

Asked by justgg at 9:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• One step-son dropped out at 18, with only 2 1/2 months to go. My last Step-son just ran away from home because we grounded his car for bad grades. Third step-son dropped out of college. I have no understanding of their decisions. Seems to me you try to get the best education you can to help yourself in the future. Also seems to me that these three boys have a more difficult time tying action to long-term consequence than my generation did. I wonder how we influenced that...........did we spoil them or give them too much instant gratification? If I knew the answers, I would solve the problem. Unfortunately, I don't.
    DanieT

Answer by DanieT at 1:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• my daughter is a straight A student and has one and a half years to go and she cannot wait to go to college. my son well not good with the grades but he will graduate if he has to live with me til he is forty
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Droping out is not an option in our house. I would sit down and talk with them to find out why? what are their plans how to they expect to support themself without an education.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 10:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I am giving my oldest son the option of getting his GED if he wants instead. He'd rather be working all the time anyway (he said this) I have no problem with it. He does not plan on college. My other son is planning on college & is eager to continue his HS education. It just depends on the person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• me i droped out i made stright A's could not stand the school bad kids so i got my ged...love-it.
    oh and got a $500 scholiship
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 1:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Not an option. Both of my girls expect to further their education, whether by attending a 4 year or 2 year college, entering the service, or trade school...whatever makes them happy. But if we already know that high school is not enough, post high school education is a must. Falling short of that is simply not in their vocabulary.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 2:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Mine hated school but did have enough sense to know he should graduate. He just barely made it, but did enough to get thru. I would have been beside myself if he didn't make it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I think it depends on the situation. I would hate the thought that my son would not graduate from high school. I can't say I wouldn't allow it. If I really said to him you have to when he was dead set against it he may just decide to fail his way out. You can show up but you don't have to do the work. I can barely swollow the thought that he wouldn't choose college. Further that he wouldn't go on to get his Ph.d. Both my husband and I have higher education...but in the end it is his life and his choice. That is an odd thing to say I guess from someone who is working on going back to school for her Ph.d. But eventually he has to make his own choices.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Dropping out was not an option in my house. Having said that, it happened anyway! I have 4 sons. My oldest is gifted, but skipped school left and right. Skipped so much that he failed a grade! I did everything I could to keep him there. If I drove him he'd just leave with a friend. Finally he reached of age and moved in with "friends" and dropped out. 2nd and 3rd sons, same thing. Sent them to a military school and they graduated from there with a HS diploma. It was a fight the whole way though. My youngest (severely learning disabled)is still in school and says he plans to quit when he becomes of age. Says his older brothers did it, so why can't he. uggghhh!!! The good new though: My oldest son is now 22. He is married and lives in another state. He is currently in college making A's & B's. He gets his Associates in April and plans to move on from there to a BS in IT.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 2:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2008