Question About Steroids For Lung Maturity!!!!Please Help ASAP!!! adult content

Yesterday, I had an amniocentesis to check for lung maturity and it came back that the lung were not yet mature. At a 22 when it would need to be at a fifty. I was givn a shot of steroids that day and I just had my second shot of steriods. That is all they are giving me. The Highrisk Dr. said that I would have a baby before the end of next week. And my dr told me with steroids he would feel safe inducing me 2-3 days after the shots. By the way, I am 37 weeks and I am struggling with very high BP and am anemic therefore I am taking iron pills and high BP medication. I was wondering.....How effective are the steroid pills? How quickly do they help the baby? and If I were to have her this week, would she have to stay in the NICU and how long? Please give me as much info as possible. I am a young mom to be and am extremely scared. I have a Dr appt on Monday and he could possibly induce me then.

KinsleysMommy15

Asked by KinsleysMommy15 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• The steroids will help. Do they know the baby's weight? My cousin works in the NICU as a RN and they are amazing. It is a difficult time for any mom to go thru and I will say a prayer. Good luck.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• The steroids will help! My DS was born via emergency c at 34 weeks (placenta previa). We were given the steroids about a week prior to his birth, he was in NICU for two weeks, but only had to be on CPap (forced oxygen) for a day.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2011