Ediets and otehr weght loss companies

Can anyone tell me honestly what the cost of food is per week or month from Ediets, Jenny Craig's, Nutrisystem or any other weight loss programs that ship food to your home, and which one you tried and consider doable and tasty?
For a low income family those shipped foods seem a little costly, but with busy schedule it is difficult to cook and prepare the meals all the time, like the menu plans from Spark People, so I am trying to find out a lower cost program with ready made foods.
Thank you.

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 1:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I can't remember whether it was Jenny Craig or NutriSystems, but one I looked into was going to cost about $299.00 a month for food to be delivered. I guess that's not bad if you don't have to buy other groceries. However, I finally made the decision to go with Weight Watchers. It's free to join right now. I pay $12.00 a week if I want to go in and weigh... however, I paid my $12.00, got my points and all the supplies and then I just have been following them.. never have been back. I've lost 5 lbs in three weeks. The Smart Ones are one of their prepackaged dinners... you can buy them at Walmart for about $2.00-$2.99 per meal. I buy some of them, but otherwise cook the food myself, now that I know how to do the portions. I'm very happy with it!

Good luck on your venture!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Thank you so much for the response, it looks like WW is the best deal now, it is free to join, with the purchase of the next 3 months memebership, I think. But buying the foods at Walmart or anywhere else is a good idea. Ready to eat and gives you points right on the package. Do you think there are still 0 points for most, non starchy veggies?
    I also imagine they must have some recipes or ready foods like fruit etc that you can snack on.
    i am so freaking out right now because I have to move out from my apartment, but after 1st of Feb, things will go a lot calmer, so I can focus on my needs and health.
    Have a beautiful day and thank you so much for giving me a good direction to follow.
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Menu plans are pretty costly and they are only for 1 person.....if you have a busy schedule and don't want to have to come home after work and cook I would consider getting a slow cooker and looking up "light" recipes with it. Toss things in before you leave in the morning and when you come home you have a healthy dinner waiting for you and the family. And slow cookers make any meat/protein super tender......I made homemade chicken wings last night and if you put them in the oven they are rubber, the wings in the slow cooker (and any meat you put in on the bone) and the chicken was falling off the bone it was so tender.

You could buy a whole chicken for about $5 at a discount grocery store (such as Aldi's or Save-A-Lot) put it in the slow cooker with some veggies and come home to an awesome tender, flavorful meal!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Did you make the wings with bbq sauce? I love the sauce not so much the wings themselves, but I can try to do the drumstick or just breasts.
    I have to find a book "Fix it And Forget IT Light" Your idea is so awesome, Too!!!
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I actualy have that book and another version for diabetes (as I'm a diabetic) and they both have wonderul recipes.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Wow, I am in the same boat!!! Losing weight itself would help me a lot with the diabetes, South Beach Diet actually looks like the right stuff for us, but most ingredients look elaborate and the ingredients are kind of 'special finds' in better supermarkets, so now going and looking for them may be a pain. But I can probably look for those that are simple and quick to make, plus before that I can compare the numbers to WW charts and see how many points I actually have in this dish.
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I would not do any of those personally, I would work on changing lifestyle habits, eating healthy, exercising, drinking plenty of water, getting rest, etc.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• No, Good Luck.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:54 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Seems like you got some good advice, good luck to you on your weight loss.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:18 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Sorry, no. Good luck, though.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2011