What determines your happiness?

For me, I would have to say its the way my husband treats me, spending time with him and my daughter, and having a wonderful environment to live in. I feel like my life is complete, and stable. I dont have to worry about drama and problems most of the people around me worry about. Just curious what makes others happy, or for that matter, sad...

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 9:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• cont...

When my husband worked a regular job, it was hard to fit it all in and still keep the baby fed, the house clean, and meals on the table. but I eventually came to the conclusion that the best approach was to do MY stuff first - as soon as baby fell asleep, I did my yoga or meditation right away, and then after that I did the house and the meals. I found that if I didn't put me first, my stuff never happened. The house can always be cleaned later (assuming it's not a completely disgusting disaster). You need to take care of you right now.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I don't really strive to be happy. I strive to be content and present in my life, and to continuously grow. Happiness generally follows on it's own. In order to do this, I meditate for at least a half hour daily, I read and study spiritual texts (generally based in Buddhism or Taoism), I practice yoga, I practice mindful living, I practice unconditional love, and I practice unconditional gratitude. I am least happy when I am in that place between growth spurts, when my life feels a bit stagnant and I'm not inspired or moved or touched by the experience of living. But I try to remember at thos times that rest is important, too. I can't grow grow grow all the time or I'll burn out.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My 6 yr. old son makes me the happiest, I'm going through some things right now with his dad which makes it difficult to my little one but that little boy is my world, I love my SO and he makes me happy to but my true complete happiness only comes around when my son is here. Also, I love the fact that I have a job well 2 jobs and can pay most of my bills now and I have a man at home that loves me for me.
    Anonymous

•  "Just curious what makes others happy, or for that matter, sad..."

Seeing my mom in the late stages of Alzheimer's and not able to stop the disease from eating her up. 

Anonymous

• I'm sorry about your mom, Anon 10:00. That's never easy. Hugs.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Blue frog. How do you find time for meditation and yoga? Do you have a baby, or are your kids older? I would love time... guess I just need to make it.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 10:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My son is 18 months. I mostly do it when he sleeps, either at nap time or after he's down for the night. He tends to sleep later than me, so sometimes I can squeeze meditation into my morning before I get him up. I am also really lucky though that my husband works from home right now, so I have the freedom to leave the house to take a yoga class a few times a week. But when that wasn't the case, I just did yoga on my porch during nap time.

cont...
    BlueFrogMama