Do you use space heaters?

My daughter will be moving to a room downstairs (we have a split level house) because her room is turning into a nursery. The downstairs tends to be pretty chilly, so my husband wants to get a space heater and use that instead of the electric heating in the room. I have always been under the impression that it isn't safe to leave a space heater on over night. What's your take?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• They are NOT ALL safe... and running them as your regular heating system ISN'T a good idea at all...
    look for one that has safety shut off features and there are some that have timed limits on them... they may
    cost more, but they will be safer in the long run...
    DO NOT keep/put anything near it of around it... keep an around of 3-5 ft all around it cleared... NEVER run it
    while your child is in the room alone... ALWAYS chk on them if you plan on leaving it on while somewhere else
    in the room... and NEVER EVER leave it on while not home...

My Dh is a Captain on our local Fire Dept. and these items are their worse nightmares...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I only use one in my office at work because it gets chilly. I don't think it's safe for a child.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I use them and the new ones are perfectly safe. Dont go buy a old one or anything like that. New ones will turn off if they tip over, and some have timers on them. Some can be very decorative as well. My kids all have them in their rooms for when it gets chilly, and never have had a problem.

Answer by gemgem at 2:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I use an electric radiator in one room that is oil filled. I leave it on all the time. It does get warm but not really hot enough to cause a fire. In fact I can touch it when it is on-but have to move my hand away after a couple of seconds. I would not have it on around young children but it is fine for me. I have been thinking of getting one of those radiant heaters for another room but they are so expensive. I hear they do not get that hot overall and will shut off if they tip over. I do think the heating elements in the radiant heater do get pretty hot though-I would probably just use this one in the basement when I am down there-that is if I want to spend that much money on one.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yes, we have two that are only a year old. They both have thermostats and we leave them on all the time because we live in a split level too and it is so cold downstairs. One is by Holmes and one is by Lakewood. You might want to see where you can add insulation too. We are having some put in under our front door landing which should have been insulated by the builder.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• We have a couple. They are not hot to the touch so a little one can not burn themselves on them. It also turns itself if tipped over. Since it is cool to the touch it will not burn anything around it. We use them because in our house we had electric wall heater and my daughter singed her hair on them. From that point on we did not use them any more. It scared the crud out of me. The space heater has a thermostat and only runs when it is below the temperature that you set it for. We love them.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• The newer ones are totally safe. We have 3 different styles/brands, all purchased in the last 3 years, we renovated our attic and haven't been able to run a duct up there from the furnace, so we have to keep a space heater running 24/7. No problems. It's not on a high temp (65), and DH checks it every morning and every night (the plug, cord, unit, the whole works) and no problems.
    Anonymous

• be cful with the space heater I wouldn't leave it onall night..
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2011