FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT~~~ do not celebrate

christmas ~~~ what do you do while the rest of the town, neighbors, families are celebrating?
how do you tell your kids we don't celebrate with trees, gifts, fun, food and gettogethers?

justgg

Asked by justgg at 9:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well we celebrate Christmas, we just don't do Santa.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• im goimg to let someone else answer before i get started cuz i feel this is just a question to start drama
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• "christmas ~~~ what do you do while the rest of the town, neighbors, families are celebrating?"
    We do what we usually do on any day.

"how do you tell your kids we don't celebrate with trees, gifts, fun, food and gettogethers?"
    We go to the library and read books about where certain holidays came from, we sing winter songs that don't involve false worship, play in the snow, etc. We don't expose our kids to all the hype, so I think that helps them to understand better. What makes you think we don't have parties/get togethers at other times of the year? So sad that those "cherished" family moments only happen on particular days of the year - why not make time to visit throughout the year?

Anonymous

• We do both christams and hanukkah
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 11:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• how do you tell your kids we don't celebrate with trees, gifts, fun, food and gettogethers?

Your assumption that those who don't celebrate Christmas don't have fun, food and get togethers (I'll give you the tree) is pretty off-the-mark.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in that you just didn't think about other ways of celebrating, rather you only thought about people not celebrating anything...

My family has a Chanukah party every year. We, amazingly, celebrate with food, fun and get togethers.  We also have presents.  OMG HOW DO YOU CELEBRATE WITHOUT A MENORAH???  Oh, sorry...a little sarcasm slipped through.  Anyway, we actually have a great deal of fun, thank you very much for asking.

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My mom/dad and brother and his family celebrate; I and my family are not even Christian. Since none of us live close by and we all get both the 25th and 26th off work, we usually gather up at a halfway point - get a hotel with a suite and a couple of extra rooms - then they do presents and stuff in their rooms, and it all stays out of our room. We do shopping, and watersliding, and science centres, and ice skating, and golf and bowling and whatever else we want to do. It allows the family to get together, allows them to celebrate, and allows us to stay out of it. We have other holidays that we celebrate - so our kids miss nothing. It is the only time each year I see my brother, so it is important to me we gather up when he can make it.
    b_cheerful

Answer by b_cheerful at 8:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Are your kids so deprived that they only get Christmas as a special event in their life? That's kind of sad. I grew up without any holidays and never felt I missed a thing -- we had parties, family nights with games, toys, get togethers, sleep overs, movies, art museums, traveling... When I grew up and had my own family, I actually took the opportunity to take holiday time off to TRAVEL to other countries to teach my child about other cultures.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Avarah, you sound like you may be Jewish. Please pm me. I'd like to learn more about that. I have a friend who celebrates like that, and she claims to be Messaniac Jewish.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Well, the family doesn't celebrate christmas... I am Pagan my husband is Christian. We have combine the two. We use the decorations that apply to both traditions only, the get one gift each and we have a family dinner with traditional foods and spend the day together... NO TV, COMPUTER OR GAMES!! Just enjoying family. We feel telling stories like Santa and elves is lieing to our children... So we don't do that stuff... they know it's not true. I grew up in a house where christmas was seen as evil. So it's not an issue. I know how to deal with all that.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• If you really think about it its just another regualr day. Its not even Jesus' real birthday. I find it ridiculous that the whole world shuts down for this holiday...whatever.. I dont see the big deal in it... but okay? But that also doenst mean that people dont do ANYTHING...people celebrate in their own ways, wheather they celebrate "christmas" or not.
    Anonymous