Pacifier?

I swore the whole time i was pregnant I would not give my baby a pacifier, especially because i was going to bf. because they say it causes confusion, and then like a few days after she was born my mother in law gave her it and she didnt really like it, so i was happy. but then her father and my mother in law would give it to her if she seemed fussy or something. So she kind of got used to it. and now she loves it it keeps her happy and she loves to suck lol but it hasnt interfered with bf at all Thank God!!. But my question is when is a good age to get them off of it and how??

EliannasMama

Asked by EliannasMama at 2:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son is a year and a half and I am wondering the same thing! He is so attached to that stupid thing!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I have never been one to worry over this. Like with so many things, children WILL come to it on their own, especially if we aren't actively pusing them. My daughters both gave theirs up by the age of 2, just sort of naturally. They just quit using them.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My friend's kids gave them up on their own at age three. They only could have them at bedtime. My kids didn't like them.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My oldest got rid of his around 21 months. At the time I was working at a daycare and he was in my class. They could only have their pacifiers at nap time. I pulled his out of the bag and I noticed that it was cracked. I told him it was broken and we had to throw it away. That was the end of it, a whole lot easier than I ever thought it was going to be. With my second, he was around 26 months. He had a habit of throwing them out of mouth when he got excited and then we couldn't find them. He did that one day and we couldn't find any. That was the end. After three days though he did find one. My oldest was yelling, Andrew has a pacifier! lol I just grabbed it and we threw it away. Hopefully my daughter will be just as easy.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 3:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I felt the same way. But having our kids changes EVERYTHING. My oldest daughter sucked her thumb till she was 3. And my youngest used a binki till she was 3. The pediatrician that my mom took me to said to let them keep whatever things bring them secuity until the child is ready to let it go. They will eventually, and even if it's alittle later than you may like, it won't hurt them.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 3:11 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My son loved his too and one day we could not find it and it got lost really!!! at grammas house. I bought him another exactly like it and he did not like it at all. I tried for weeks but he was done with his pacifier!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• For a breastfed baby, I would get rid of it ASAP. Once she's past the newborn suck all the time phase and crying in the car, then just stop offering it. For my first that was about 3 months... I would say definitely before 6 months.

Replace with the boob. You want them to rely on the boob for comfort because it will keep them nursing (and thus, getting plenty of good milk to help them grow) for as long as possible.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I actually liked using a pacifier because it prevented by kid from putting a lot of bad things in his mouth. I could "see" the wheels turning in his head sometimes-- dog food or binky? Using one never interfered with breastfeeding, and he breastfed until he was 15 months old.

I am gradually weaning my son off the pacifier. He used to have one whenever he wanted, but I started to not offer him one before breakfast. Then no bimky after breakfast, then none after lunch, etc. until he was going the whole day without one. Now I've 'forgotten" to give him one at bedtime-- that trick works every couple of nights. But he's slowly but surely getting used to not havign a binky.

If it gets to a point where he's throwing a massive fit because he wants it at night, I think we'll have a funeral.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• with my first two kids I did not use one at all ( I don't like them in kids/babys mouth) but with my third kid a whole new story I did not have a choice if I wanted to keed my my sanity. So my third kid has one but we don't give it to her all day all the time just when she is crying and she does not want to nurse or has a dirty diaper,ect . but when she is 6 months I will start weaning her from it even more but gradually so by the time she is one it WILL be gone. best luck
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• The pacifier should be gone by the time they start walking

Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2011