She is 15 and pregnant what are her rights?

I recently found out that my friend's little sister is 15 and pregnant. Her boyfriend is 17. They want to keep the baby but her mom told her she is gonna get an abortion, she has no choice. Her boyfriend's parents have said that they can live with them and that they will pay for a small wedding. What are the girls rights? Can her mom force her to get an abortion? Since she is pregnant can she get married without her parents? Is she even allowed to move in with her boyfriend and his parents? I would hate to see this pregnancy end in abortion when both parents want the child and they have the help they need to raise it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No one can force a child into abortion.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Her mom can't force her to do anything. I wouldn't advise getting married so young but she doesn't have to end the pregnancy just because her mom wants her to.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 3:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• she has all the rights any mother would have. she has the right to keep the child and not have an abortion. as for marriage depends on state laws but even then i dont think she could get married until 16 with a parents signature. her mom can not force her to have an abortion. as for moving in with her boyfriend and his parents not sure you would have to look into state laws. but above all she does have a choice of what to do with the pregnacy
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Legally her parents can't force her to get an abortion, as for marriage, she'd have to check the state laws.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Nobody can force another to get an abortion. As for marriage, each state has different laws concerning the age of consent, but the usual age is 16 to get married without parental consent. I am not sure about the laws concerning a 15 year old living with someone else, against the parent's consent. I believe that many states have laws against harboring a runaway, and should the girl's parents contact the police, the boyfriend's parents may be charged.

There are additional consequences against angering the girl's parents. For instance, what are the chances that they're going to want the prosecutor to bring charges against the boyfriend for statutory rape, or even a lesser sexual offense?

The girl can petition the court for emancipation from her parents. This is a long process, and in the interim, she can request that the judge permit her to live with someone else.

I wish them luck-- they're going to need it!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• She is 15, he is 17, in our state, that is not a crime (though I know it is in some)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I know in texas,the age is 14 for marriage. In some southern states it is 14 too. Her parents cannot force her into killing a baby!! What is wrong with her mom?? Is she demented or just stupid!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• op, do not worry-she can not be forced.
    Anonymous

• She has a choice. All she has to say is she is being forced into a medical procedure to kill her baby and no one will make her do it. My dd was 16 when she got pregnant and as it went medically for her OB care she had all the rights. I had none. Of course Id never condone an abortion and she never wanted one, so that wasnt an issue. But at the end of the day I knew my rights over her body and medical care were over legally.

Answer by gemgem at 3:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• dancer, she is both. She has 4 children of her own and doesn't pay attention to any of them. The child never had a curfew or any rules and now the mom is mad that she is pregnant.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2011