Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I find a babysitter that can deal with a special needs child?

I have a son who is almost two and he hasnt been fully diagnosed but we are awaiting conformation that he has Autism and I am having alot of trouble finding a babysitter who is capable of watching him and my other child at the same time. It would only be an occasional thing but I want someone quilified. Any suggestions?

Answer Question

Asked by bjsbabybear at 3:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 4 (34 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • U can go to I have a neice who is autistic.

    Answer by dancer at 3:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • I recommend going to the local university and asking the professors of teaching students whether any of them are willing to babysit and get experience at the same time. I'd especially look for the students that are learning to become special education teachers as they will have a specific interest in working with autistic children.

    Of course, make sure you do a complete interview before handing over the care of your child to someone else.

    Good luck!

    Answer by Busimommi at 3:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • Ask your local Social Services Dept. They have respite care for families of special needs kids

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • You might try too and read the profiles to see if anyone has experience with these children.  GL


    Answer by elizabr at 3:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • ask the pediatrician for ideas, call early intervention office, call colleges, find a local autism parents support group and they even may be willing to trade babysitting

    Answer by musichollie at 3:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • Go to They have a special needs caregiver section. I have an autistic 4 year old. I've met some fantastic people from there. The best way is to post your job and see who repsonds. It lists their experience and available hours, etc.

    Answer by Hazelnutkin at 4:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • I always posted ads at my local college which specializes in early childhood education. I made sure to get references! Most of my sitters (I have a 13 year old with autism and 9 and 11 year old typical kids) have come from our church. You can also contact your local autism society (even if you don't have the diagnosis in hand) and ask them for some names of sitters that are experienced with special needs kids.

    Answer by missanc at 5:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
too attached?