Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you suggest?

I turned in my adoption homestudy packet to an agency that does waiting kids adoption. I called many times. I finally get a hold of her and she doesn't know my name. In fact, they filed it and forgot it.. Six months and all that work physicals etc is wasted. She sends it back to me with believe it or not her work policy packets and dress expectations for her job, obviously she didn't realize she attached it to my homestudy. Crazy stuff! So, all this time is wasted. I want to adopt but not pay for international as I have money but not that much. I am nervous about foster care because I don't want to get attached and lose them to biological. Do you have any suggestions? I do want a female child between the ages of 3-9? Thanks,

Answer Question

Asked by dorothy436 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • call her supervisor

    Answer by mamabear8869 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

  • Is there an alternative agency you can go through? In regard to foster care, I recently became licensed and it will certainly make adoption a lot easier and cheaper. You have to consider that by the time the child is placed with you, the state has already worked with the parents as much as they could and looked for any family members that were interested in caring for the baby. While you're working to try to keep the family together, that really doesn't happen often, and you ahve a great deal of say as to what gender, ages, issues, etc that you wish to take. This would be especially important if you were fostering to adopt. Hope this helps or opens some options! Also, is a private adoption out of the question? I don't know the financial aspects of it, I'm sure the legal fees are a lot more involved, but it would be worth checking out if you ahven't already.

    Answer by kabbot01 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

  • Don't give up, we had a lousy 1st case worker, he was the king of negativity. He told us we didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a baby. He transfered out and we were asigned another case worker and in less than a yr, we were the proud parents of an 8 month old baby girl, followed not quite 3 yrs later with a 7 month old baby girl.

    Please don't give up, don't be afraid to ask for another case worker or to complain to your current caseworkers supervisor. There are thousands of kids in the system that need a good home and loving parents. It is so worth the struggle. M

    Answer by mom2kitkat at 12:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

  • A couple of things...

    First of all, you need to go someone above your current caseworker. We all know that caseworkers are overworked and a lot of us are, but there is no excuse for poor work performance...especially when children are involved. There is nothing wrong with protecting yourself and finding a caseworker that you can work with.

    Secondly,you can be a foster/adopt parent. At least in my state, this means that you will only take children whose parents have already lost parental rights and are ready to be adopted. There is still a 6 month time period before adoptions can be finalized, but it should be permanent as long as things are going well in the home. This is the route that my husband and I have decided to take. Also, when you adopt through foster care, the expenses are minimal to non-existent. Definitely a plus.

    Good luck with your adoption journey and God bless you always.

    Answer by kerijo143 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

  • Find a child in foster care that is already eligible to be adopted if you are worried about that issue.

    Answer by Southernroots at 12:37 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.