Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

free lawyer

we are bring my son's bio dad to court, my hubby is trying to adopt my boys! bio dad contested!. will he be offered a free/state lawyer to protect his rights? we live in MA


Asked by r00j04j08 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 16 (3,000 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • He can request a court appointed lawyer, but it will not be free. You can do the same if you don't have one.

    Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • a gaurdian? thats good.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • No, you don't get free lawyers unless you are being charged with a crime. I have never understood that though, a single mom trying to get child support for her kids can't get a free lawyer but someone convicted of murder can.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • The guardian is for the son.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 4:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • guardian? NO.. he is trying to adopt!. I already have legal and physical sole custody. these are my biological boys. (2)

    Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • In some states, yes, he will be given a tax payer funded attorney. You need to be asking you attorney about this though. Usually, if the father cares enough to contest than the TPR will not go through unless the parent is fighting social services.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 5:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • contact a law school or legal clinic

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • no law schools where I live. SMALL CITY!

    Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2011