Should an individual be expected to hide their own beliefs for fear of offending, or "Disrespecting" another's?

Can, or should one be expected to hide, dilute, or simply deny their own beliefs so as not to offend, or disrespect the majority?

How is it considered disrespectful for an Atheist, Agnostic, Muslim, Buddhist, Skhi, Heathen, etc. etc. etc. etc. To proclaim their beliefs?

If your beliefs are conflicting, how does one trump the other? Do you play Rock, Paper, Scissors to see who wins?

*note that this is a S/O of a Q in which a woman was told that she was being disrespectful of someones beliefs, simply by stating her own.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 4:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Religious Debate

• No I dont think they should, but at the same time they shouldnt expect anyone else to either. I dont hide anything about how I see things, believe things etc. I figure if someone doesnt like it, then its too bad. Its how I am, and I have as much right to my beliefs as they do their own. I usually dont go around discussing my religious beliefs or political beliefs with people I dont know much about though either.

Answer by gemgem at 4:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I think there are ways to state thoughts and beliefs with out being completely disrespectful. You can say that you think your belief is the right one with out putting others down. Unfortunately sometimes no matter how nice you say things some will see it as disrespectful because it is not what they believe to be right.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i totally agree wit gemgem

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• No..what you believe is what you believe and you're free to express that...How someone perceives what you believe is on them
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I don't think that anyone should have to hide their beliefs. Although I am catholic, I still enjoy hearing about what other's believe. I try not to be closed minded.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I am a defender of the first amendment. I am Christian and I take full advantage of this. I encourage atheists, etc. to do the same. Mutual respect. Now what virgo said, I agree. I gotta be me.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 4:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I'm a Buddhist. In my "world" (for lack of a better description - we're white in a fairly affluent neighborhood) most are Christian or Catholic. I don't talk about religion to colleagues of my husband's or my new neighbors. I don't offer up my beliefs because I don't want any negativity toward my family, not out of fear of disrespecting any one elses beliefs. In my belief system, I am not called upon to convert or teach others; I am to lead my life as I understand Buddha's teachings. I don't hide my beliefs, but I don't broadcast them either, and I'm ok with that.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• No one has the right to not be offended. If someone says they feel disrespected when their belief is challenged, then they should question how solid that belief is, rather than end the communication because they're emotional about the challenge. From what I've observed, it is usually due to a believers emotional attachment to their belief that causes them to feel slighted or disrespected. Too many people think they are their belief, which leads to feeling disrespected, even though it is not usually the person that is in question, but instead, the belief. Believers, in many cases, do not know how to separate the two. And no, no one should be expected or feel obligated to deny or hide or dilute what they feel is true, simply to save another from feeling a feeling. No one besides the self is responsible for a feeling. One should have objective proof of what one claims is truth, which believers cannot provide when it comes to god.
    clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i think everyone hides their true beliefs..not just religion but with everything..because if you tell how you "really" felt..somebody may point the finger at you and call you a bigot. and you don't want to be that do you...i could care less though. if i want to say the word redneck, i'm gonna say it..if i think rednecks like wafflehouse so what. why on earth do people get offended by such dumb shit? only to make themselves look like some hero and make you look like an evil villian
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• If they're just stating what they believe in, they are not disrespecting anyone or others' beliefs. If anyone takes offense to something as trivial as someone stating what they believe, they need to stay away from those conversations.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 5:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2011