i was told i can give my 3 month old prune juice........

but how much can i give....he cant poop

MaMaTreZZa

Asked by MaMaTreZZa at 4:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• one ounce in three ounces of water
    Anonymous

• what are your signs that he is constipated?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• he hasnt gone in 3 days and in screaming cant sleep either pushing.....but its safe correct
    MaMaTreZZa

Comment by MaMaTreZZa (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• ah okay, I just answered your other question. I was told with DD to give her 1 oz. juice with 1 oz. water every 4-6 hours until she pooped and to call if it did not work with in 24 hours. I was told to do this is she did not go for more than 5 days or seemed uncomfortable, which it sound's like your LO is.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I'm a pediatric nurse, and prune juice is safe, but not as gentle and effective as white grape juice. Just give it straight , 1oz. twice daily as needed. If the last B.M. was not hard marbles, she may not need it. It won't hurt her though.
    2jeffsmom

Answer by 2jeffsmom at 5:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yes, constipation in infants is generally passing dry, hard, pellet like stool. 3 days isn't always a concern. Is he breast or formula fed? I know that EBF babies can safely go up to 20 days between bowel movements, as long as when he DOES go, the stool is not dry, hard, or pellet like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2011