Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

How can I help my friend?

She's in a bad place. Her husband has been mentally abusive to her. She has been planning on leaving him but hasn't found a job yet now he decided to up and quit his very good job and go to school. She has no family. Both her parents are dead, she's an only child and she never met any aunts or uncles. She has always been very shy and withdrawn and doesn't have hardly any friends. She was counting on getting child support to help her get by now that's out since her husband won't be working for the next 4 yrs, he's going for a BA. She tells me she has no choice but to stay with him because it's best for the children since she can't provided for them by herself. She hasn't been able to find anything that pays more then $9 a hour but that will barley cover rent in a two bedroom and she has 2 kids a boy and a girl but they are to old to share a room together now. They are moving in with his brother and wife so they don't have to pay rent else where.
I really want to help her but I am a single mom as well barley getting by.
She's already tried to go to a women shelter but they said she needs to be in a physical abusive relationship or they can't help her. This isn't fair for her. Why can't there be more resources for her? What can she do?


Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Have you considered being roommates with her?


    Answer by Lornamay at 5:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • She can go to the Salvation army they pay first and last months rent and if she has to she should get on PA she needs it and there is no shame to getting it if it helps make her safe and her kids get things who gives a damn what others think. GL Momma

    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • aw..she needs to first take whatever job she can. She could do a 2br and put the kids one in each her stuff in one room and sleep on the couch. She will qualify for many services to help like food stamps, health insurance.....Moving in with his fam will only makes things worse...wishing her the best! she is in a hard place.

    Answer by hill2 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • Community action program........wic./ h.e.a.p and a good amount of food stamps for her and 2 children. They can send her where she should go for other things she may need.

    Answer by zbee at 5:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • I would advise her to call First Call for Help 211 and they will hook her up with the services she needs.

    Answer by PatriciaofMN at 5:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2011