Why is it people send their kids to school with strep?(VENT)

My daughter had a slight headache Friday before school thought it was from how she slept. then she said her arm hurt , well she had hurt it the previous day. no fever etc. all of sudden at school during breakfast her head started pounding and she had a slight fever. so they called me to come get her and me at home with no vehicle thanks to hubby tearing up my vehicle. so luckily my aunt went to get her for me. She started complaining late last night of a sore throat so i got a friend to take her and i to the Dr. I noticed her breath had a odor but she no longer had a fever thanks to triamenic (however it spelled) the dDr checked her ears, they were fine, her throat was red and swollen so she did a strep test and sure enough she got strep again this year from the school. I can understand people sending the kids if they do not realize what is going on but i found these parents send them back while they are still contagious. This girl has had three bouts since she started this school :( thankfully she is on the medicine and the dr said by the time Monday comes she will not be contagious. but if she feels bad to keep her home. I just don't understand why when they tell you they are contagious you would send them in to school anyway.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree that some parents have no other option. I also agree it is not a good idea to send kids to school when you know they are sick or are concerned something is wrong. But in public schools, as someone mentioned already, you can only miss ten schools days total. My son catches everything under the sun. This school year alone he has had MRSA, Scarlet Fever, all day doctor appointments, and other minor illnesses. That is well over the ten day limit. But my child also goes to a private school. On days where he is feeling off and I notice he is getting sick, but does not have a fever or other notable signs, I will keep him home. Usually he does get sick and by keeping him home I feel I am doing the teachers and students a favor by not spreading the love.  I don't like sending him when he has green snot constantly running out of his nose and very congested.  So I don't.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Strep is contagious BEFORE you start showing signs. And how do you know she didn't get it from the shopping cart at the grocery store?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I know where I live you can now only miss 10 days of school. That is ridiculous. My step daughters mother sent her to school the whole year and a half she had lice!!!!!! It's just crazy. I think they need to clean everything many times a day to stop the spread of germs.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Unfortunately, some parents feel they have no other option. There are people who work at places where they can not take time off they they don't have paid time off or if they have used all of their paid time off. A friend of mine used all of her PTO when she had a miscarriage, then her 1yo daugher got sick. The company said "Sorry" and let her go.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I thought that strep is only contagious for 24 hours after antibiotics are started. Wow, I'm getting a new dr because that's what ours told us. I can't believe they lied to us and said it was ok to send the kids to school after 24 hours.
    Anonymous

• Anon, that's what my ped and the school nurse said.. As long as they have been on the antibiotics for at least 24 hours, they are fine to return.. Last time my son got strep, I opted for the shot and he has never had it since...knock on wood...

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It works and his school is very good about this as well. But we are off to public school next year and this will not fly. I am hoping we can do a lot of prevention but you really can't do much when strep is being shared. It happens.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• matthewscandi because she had not been out of the house except for school and the nurse told me herself it is all over the school. I have to borrow father in law vehicle to go to store it is a pick up truck , so she stays with the grandparents while i go to the store. she has been coughed and sneezed on at school it is not the first time that kids have went to school sick either there was a kid who was vomiting that kept showing up and school kept sending them home. Our school your only allowed 3 days of missed school with out a dr statement 5 with.
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• and it is contagious after you show signs of it to . you need so much antibiotics before no longer contagious
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i did not know they had shots for it, wish our doctors would tell us that option
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2011