Should Swim-Suits be taking out of the female Pageants?

Why does a woman have to show the shape of her body while competing to be
( Miss America, or Miss Universe) Why should their qualifications be based partionally on how they look in an bathing suit? need Feedback!

tulipskiss311

Asked by tulipskiss311 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I think it is OK. I don't really pay that much attention to the bathing suit part or the pageant for that matter. I haven't watched a pageant since my parents used to watch it when I was younger, about 24 years ago.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 5:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I see where you are going with this. And can agree. But to an extent. This pageant is ancient and I dont think that image and obese issues should make them change anything. This is how its always been. Other things in society do need to change. And it starts at home. If someone doesnt like what they see then they need to change the channel. Its not fair to make life "easier" for those with self esteem issues.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Because it is a BEAUTY PAGEANT. Not a "hottest mom of the year" pageant. And it is "taken" not taking.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I agree with obbydobbie. Its a beauty pageant.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yes, keep that part in the competition. When a girl appears in a swimsuit she walks and smiles in a particular way. It is a real test of composure. It also indicates if she has lots of tattoos and they tell the judges about her personality and her values. Probably I would put conditions on the type of swimsuit to avoid offending some people, but it is only a swimsuit after all. A leotard would also be OK. If there is a conservative backlash to the swimsuit part of the competition, then that part could be presented in a "ladies only" segment. It is easy to parade in a dress. It is a real test to parade in a swimsuit in front of a theatre full of strangers.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• it has been part of pagents for years so i wouldn't take it out now
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2011