If your daughter ask if she could go on the pill at age 13 would you allow it?

I know this debate may be a sore spot for some but just interested in knewing how you moms feel about this sensitive subject. I have two grown daughters (age 26 & 20). Both my girls went on the pill when they were in their teens. My youngest had a horrible menstral cycle and it was recommended she go on the pill, & she did and her cycle improved. Well anyways I don't have any grandchildren yet and I would like to think me putting them on birth-control-pills early may have play a huge part in that.

tulipskiss311

Asked by tulipskiss311 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I would ABSOULUTLY give to her

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 5:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yes, I would. But I would also make sure to talk to her about the importance of waiting, and using another method of contraception.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I agree with you. Its all about prevention and shouldnt be about denial. I understand health issues too. But when it comes to sex it may be hard to feel as though you are "condoning" sex but you still need to prevent pregnancy too. I just get annoyed when parents talk so much about the pill and not condoms and other controseptives(sp?). Its not all about babies. Its about HIV and other STDs. All forms should be reccomended
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yes I would rather then have an unwanted teenage pregnancy.
    MommaDees

Answer by MommaDees at 5:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• "I agree with you. Its all about prevention and shouldnt be about denial. I understand health issues too. But when it comes to sex it may be hard to feel as though you are "condoning" sex but you still need to prevent pregnancy too. I just get annoyed when parents talk so much about the pill and not condoms and other controseptives(sp?). Its not all about babies. Its about HIV and other STDs. All forms should be reccomended"
    agree 100%, then I would put her in a convent til she was 30
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Well, I don't have a daughter. But, if I did, yes, I would let her. I would also discuss the importance of waiting, and using condoms too.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 5:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i sure would. i would also tell her about the importance of condoms.. i do not want her to contract any std's either.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Well anyways I don't have any grandchildren yet and I would like to think me putting them on birth-control-pills early may have play a huge part in that.

Or they could be infertile from you putting them on BC so young only time will tell.

To answer the question, no I wouldn't I would start watching my daughter closer. No 13 y/o has any business having sex with anyone. BC doesn't protect them from AIDS/HIV or any other STD. The only place she would go is school and if I couldn't trust the school to be responsible than I would be homeschooling her. No BC is 100% and putting a CHILD on artifical hormones is not healthy.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My youngest daughter had labia closure, which I didn't notice until she was about 10 months old! Before you jump on me, I had a stroke when she was a week old, so my mind wasn't a quick as it should have been! LOL Anyway, I was changing her diaper and wiping her bottom with a wipe, had done so a thousand times before, and I realized that she didn't have a vagina! I immediately called her pediatrician, and made an appointment. Then I got to thinking: Hmmm, at least she wouldn't get pregnant if I left her like that until she was l8! My oldest daughter was 15 and pregnant at the time! Well, my mom wouldn't let me do that, lol, so we went to the Dr. who prescribed some hormone cream and told me to apply it to the area twice a day for 2 weeks. I read the insert, it scared the hell out of me, this cream could cause her to develop breasts, even start her period, if too much of it was used.! I was supposed to put a glove on (cont)
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• (cont.) to apply this cream to her! I thought about it for a couple more days, and then decided I would try it one time, and see what happened. Well, thank God, that one time worked! The next morning my little girl had a vagina! Isn't that crazy? Well, fast forward to 10 yr and 3 mos, and she started her period. She started developing at 8years old! crazy huh? Her ped told me that it didn't have anything to do with the cream, but I am not sure. Anyway, I had to face this very question, when I took her in for a visit because she was having a really hard time with some very painful, long periods. They suggested birth control, and I agreed to it! Now that she's 17, I am comfortable with the knowledge that she will graduate high school and go on to college!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2011