To those who have Chopped it off!

I've always had super long hair! Right now its mid-back which isn't that long considering where it has been. I've never had a "hair style". I either straighten it (no idea why since it is straight), curl the ends, or put it in a ponytail. I want a hair style, but I'm 24 and never had to have to "fix" my hair every day. (Like with hairspray and such) But I'm tired of looking like a hippi LOL. And i'm going into a professional career. I'm terrified to get it above my shoulders but I LOVE these new hair styles that come above the shoulders. My husband is another problem, he hates "hair styles" and prefers I keep my hair "natural". Now I know, I know.. its my hair and I should do what I want, but it is the ONLY thing he voices his opinion about and I feel bad for wanting to take aways something he loves. So what would you do? I feel like.. I just want to sneak away and get it cut.. and if I don't like it, it's just hair and will grow back!... But I'm so scared!!!! Some opinions and advice! Even some pictures of cute shorter hair cuts

MKSers

Asked by MKSers at 6:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• My hair was down to my boobs from high school until last year. I felt like I was still stuck in that "high school look" and wanted to look more my age. So I cut it off up to my chin. I copied the new bob style that is "in" right now and I LOVE it! I look so much older, so much more sophisticated, and my sister ended up doing the same thing and it looks great on her as well. Like you said, its just hair and it will grow back, and if you really end up hating it, you could always get extensions or something put in. It is true that when women have really long hair it does make them look younger. Now sometimes that's good and makes you look 20 when you're really 35, and sometimes its bad. Like your 25 and you look 15. Get what I mean? I say go for it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Don't know where exactly but there are websites online where you can upload your pic and check out how it would look with different styles. As you know, don't wear your hair for him or anyone else, do whatever makes you happy with it.

I chopped all my off Jan of last year and couldn't be happier. I'm actually trying to go for the long and natural look. Being a black woman, I had put many chemicals in my hair to straighten it but now since I cut it, it growing long and curly. No more straighteners, only natural. Good luck to you.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Ash.. EXACTLY! I'm almost 25 and people still ask me if my children are my sisters!!! I mean, I will be thankful for that when I'm older.. but I would like to be not looking like a "high schooler" I start clincal's next fall as a radiology tech. And I don't want patients to think I'm some young kid zapping them with radiation!
    MKSers

Comment by MKSers (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My hair was down past my butt until I was in my 20s. I cut it off to just a little past my shoulders & donated my hair after I had my first child. Although it felt weird, it was nice to not have my hair getting in the way while I was taking care of my son. I have let it grow out then cut it off again several times since then. I *just* (last week) cut it off ABOVE my shoulder for the first time. I'm still getting used to it, but not regretting it. My husband prefers my hair really long too. It's really the only thing he ever has a preference for one way or the other. I just remind him that *HE* doesn't have to deal with it getting in the way & that it's just hair. It always grows back. Down sides: I don't have the luxury of just pulling it back when I don't want to fix it like I did when it was ultra long, & I do get tired of having to keep up with getting it cut (which is why I grow it out over & over)
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• my hair has never been above my shoulders...not even close. well in the fall I said screw it and cut it much shorter that Im used to...I think it makes you look younger and the hair healthier. just my opinion...I actually want to get it cut again, b/c I feel like it's starting to grow out. It's much cuter when you put it up too.

I don't like being forced to always wear a friggin ponytail, just b/c I have a baby and no time to do it everyday...so it's much easier in that respect also :) and hey, it's just hair, it'll grow back
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• just do it!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Maybe cut it right at shoulder length, all one length. Then you still don't have to do much to style it. And if you want to curl the ends under, you can. Or get a large brush to blow dry it to add volume and get that slight curl at the ends.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2011