Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

14 year old girl and a 14 year old boy

The girl gets pregnant and decides to keep the baby. Who is responsible for paying child support the father or his parents? I think legally, it varries from state to state but what are the opinons of what it should be? I mean, he is under 18 so his parents are responsible right? At this age, he is not legally old enough to work. I think they should change it to if the father is under 18 and not emansipated, his parents should pay based on what they make until he reaches 18. I mean, whay should the girl's family shoulder all the financial responsiblity?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Answers (27)
  • I def. think the parents should have to pay, but i don't think it should be based off what they make. If they make 100's of thosands of dollars, I don't think that they should have to pay a large amount of support. The girls parent's should be equally as responsible. Good question tho!

    Answer by genagina at 6:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • yes they should help with the baby even though it is not their fault the girl got preggo.

    Answer by gwen20 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • gwem2, it's not the girl's parent's fault either, but ,assuming we are talking about 14 year olds, they are gonna be the ones paying for everything.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • Definitely both sets of parents should have equal responsibility.

    Answer by ohwrite at 7:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • Parents are held responsible for the other things their underage children do, so I think that (ideally) both sets of parents would be equally responsible until the kids reached the point where they could take on the responsibility for themselves.

    Answer by jessradtke at 7:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • Well, firstly, at 14 he IS legally permitted to have a job in most states, he just has to get a permit. Secondly, in many cases like this there is no support awarded because of the father's age. But when it is, if the father does not work, I would think it's up to his parents to pay it, as any other court award would be.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • No, not unless you're also giving the grandparents equal parenting rights as the parents. I think that teens should be court ordered to get a job and pay child support based on what they make. 14 year olds can get work permits and work part time. Ideally the grandparents from both sides would help out, but that's true no matter how old the parents are.

    Not to mention that when the boy turns 18, his income won't be the same as his both of his parents, so what then? Extended grandparental child support payments to make up the difference?


    Answer by Lornamay at 8:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • In my state, you can't work till you are 15 but in this economy, most places aren't hiring till 16 anyway. The reason I feel there should be child support that the grandparents have to pay is because at this age, the girls parents have no choice, she is a child, legaly, so they can't kick her out and the boy isn't old enough to get a job so doesn't have to pay child support. So what, the girl's parent's are 100% responsible? The reason I posted this is because a woman I know just got court ordered to pay $576 a month for child support for her grandchild because her son is 14 and so is the girl. She tried to fight it and she says it is unfair that she should have to give anything.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • Child support will be waived until the boy reaches 18,and then it kicks in. The grandparents are not legally obligated to pay child support

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • his parents should pay based on what they make until he reaches 18

    Um no! There is no way I would pay CS based on my income for a grandchild. I might pay based on minimum wage, MAYBE. But, before I paid any kind CS I would have 50/50 custody. There is no way I would be paying some little girls way in life because she happened to spread her legs to my son. Fortunately, my son will know better than that.



    Answer by matthewscandi at 8:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.