Haven't been on in a while so sorry if this has already debated. But what do you think of the mom who was sent to jail for sending her kids to school in a different district?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-mom-jailed-sending-kids-school-district/story?id=12763654

I was a child of this situation growing up. We moved away to a crappy part of town and the schools sucked so I continued to go to my old school getting there via public transportation. Back then, they didn't check as thoroughly where the child resided to we used our old address for years. They finally caught me when they mailed a letter to that address and it was returned. I was immediately withdrawn.

My experience doesn't make me agree with this woman. Maybe not as severely as jail, but she should have been penalized for sending her kids to school out of district. I am raising my kids in one of the most successful public school districts in metro Atlanta but that's because I reside here. I'm sure we are the poorest family here but that's the sacrifice I make to ensure my kids have a decent education. Like me, she could have moved into her desired district, just giving up other luxuries. It's not fair she took from that other school district without residing there. Yeah, yeah, I know her dad lives there but she was still morally wrong.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• She's living in a state that allows vouchers, she was one of over 100 cases that were investigated and she was the ONLY one to make the school system take her to trial (all others were either exonerated, paid to have their kids stay, or moved their children) and she fought this in courts for over two years.

If she's got that much available time, energy and money, I don't know why she just didn't use the voucher system to get her kids into a better school.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I agree....I understand her motives, but what she did was wrong. I do think that jail is a little extreme, and certainly won't benefit her kids. I think maybe community service would be more appropriate, in the community that she basically "stole" from.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• and yet, in the JFF section, the majority of the ladies are saying they'd lie to do this same action for their kid. (someone asked what was thought about her/OP lying about the school district..y'know, for the kid.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• What she did is wrong. But going to jail for it was wrong. Pay back the money she owes the school. Kick her kids out of the school.

Answer by louise2 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I look at it like she knew what she was doing was illegal. When you do something illegal, you should expect to be punished for it. I went to a different school district than where we lived in middle school and it was not that hard to do it legally. There are ways to do things the right way, she just didn't do it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I think the jail part is a little extreme.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 12:10 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• thats crazy ,i think they way over reacted
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• The jail part is kind of harsh, but she did break the law. They should have just fined her or something. I had neighbors when I lived in VA Beach send their son to a school in Norfolk just so they could have free childcare for him and his sister. The mother could have been fined for that.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My question is how did she take from the school district. If her kid was in school on count day, they would have been given the same amount for her kid as they were for residents.

I'm in Michigan so I realize it could work differently in different states. Also,our property taxes do not go directly to the school district. The education portion is collected by the state and then distributed equally across the state. So, some of my property taxes go to kids in Detroit.

We also have school of choice, so that might not be an issue. Oh and if her dad lives there and pays property tax, then I still don't see the issue.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think if I where her I would have signed papers giving the grandpa temporary custody. Problem solved.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2011