A Bribe?

Did or do you bribe your kids?

linsey1001

Asked by linsey1001 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• No.  I don't tell my kids "eat all of your dinner and you'll get a treat" or anything similar to that.  I don't reward for things they should already be doing.  But on the other hand, I reward them sometimes just because I feel the need to.  I watch them doing things that they should be, that I didn't have to remind them to do, and they get a reward.  Rewards aren't expected and they do things because they are suppose to, not because they are going to get a "treat" afterwards.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I give my toddlers a lollypop if they nap .... I see it as positive reinforcement
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 7:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• No never. They did what I told them to do or they got in trouble. Period.

Answer by louise2 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I have- it's not the way I usually go about having him follow rules or get things done but everybody likes a little incentive now and then =)

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I don't think it is a good idea. you are teaching them how to manipulate people. Just my thoughts though.. I know lots of parents who do it : )
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I offered money for good very good grades. It worked like a charm, he got a scholarship and made a bundle in the process.

Answer by older at 8:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yep. I have no shame in admitting my faults. I have and do bribe my children. I have taken them to special places, I have given them treats. It works, and shows them that good things happen if they do good things. Like someone else said, positive reinforcements.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• No way. My DD knows that she will listen to me, period.I don't feel the need to bribe her, what does that teach her? She listens because I'm her mom, and if she doesn't, there are consequences.
    But if she does behave well, she will get a lot of praise, and she may possibly get something special. But she doesn't assume that she will get something just because she is doing what she should.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 9:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yep, I do and did. But not if they threw a tantrum or refused and then bribe them. But sometimes I would say "let's all get this livingroom etc. cleaned up and we'll go to the park. I tried not to ever reward bad behaviour
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 10:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2011