Is one drink OK if you breastfeed?

My baby is a month old, and I have not had a single drink since I found out I was pregnant. My husband and I have a formal event to attend, and of course there will be drinks offered. I don't like wine, so if I could pick my drink it would be a mojito. Is OK to have just ONE? My baby seems to have caught a cold from my SIL's kid. She's got a stuffy nose. I don't have a pump with me, so is it vital that I pump after just one drink like a mojito?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 7:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes you need tp pump and dump just to be sure it has cleared your milk.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i didn't even read the whole thing but yea i posted the same question ... one drink will be absolutely FINE. i did it a few days ago and my kiddo is fine. he is 28 days old and i had a drink of my favorite wine. it was really nice
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 7:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• everyone has different opinions on this....so you'll get a lot...mine is don't drink...if you have to question it, then obviously it's not the best option :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Alcohol stays in your breastmilk for as long as it stays in your blood. When it's out of your blood, then it's out of your milk. The only reason you may want to pump is b/c you may be too full. If you do need to do that, then yes dump the milk. I don't think it's a big deal to have one drink but I wouldn't have more than that. Wait for a few hours before breastfeeding. Enjoy your evening!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i didn't even pump and dump. there is a lot of different opinions on drinking and breast feeding. what i went with is if I am not feeling it it's fine.

what i did and will continue to do is my son eats every two hours so i feed him then i pump enough to feed him in two hours THEN have my drink feed him what i've pumped for his next feeding and by the 4 hour mark everything is fine. especially with just one drink
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 7:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I'm confused. If you're going out,what did you leave your babysitter with? Pumped breastmilk or formula?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• She's will be with us. I don't leave her with babysitters.
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Comment by Miss-Baby-Baker (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• One drink should be fine i would think.
    Shortma197

Answer by Shortma197 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Whoops, typo. I meant to say that "she will."
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Comment by Miss-Baby-Baker (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• 1-2 drinks is fine. Any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. Pumping is never necessary, unless it's to keep up supply for a missed feeding. Pumping does not rid you milk of alcohol, only time does that. Alcohol leaves your milk the same way/same rate as it leaves your blood. If you're safe to (legally) drive, you can safely nurse. Basically, as long as you're not getting drunk, yes, you can nurse.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2011