Why are the preschool classes so small? How can I make sure we can get her in the class if early enrollment isn't allowed? Pt 2

It was hard enough googling locations close to us but then I pull up the school info and they only accept 7 kids.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Usually in that age group DCFS only allows a 6 or 7 to 1 ratio for safety purposes.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• 7 kids? that is small. any preschool I ever taught in had 10 kids, the ratio was 10:1, in most states I know of, but that was almost a decade ago. maybe it changed?
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 7:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It was 10 when I worked for an after school extended day program (10 years ago) but that was grades 3-5 I think its less for preschool age. There were 20 in my girls preschool and 3 teachers.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I would go ahead and get all the reg. forms, go the day they allow enrollment and try to get in there asap. Our preschool class is 14:2.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 7:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Do they only have one class or are they saying the ratio is 1 to 7. My LOs class has 12 kids and there are 2 teachers. But there are 6 classes.
    Could it be that the other kids are advancing from a younger grade and they will only have 7 openings. I would call and talk to some one or go in and get the details.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• The ratio for my daughter's preschool (she is 3.5) is 13 - 1
    Personally, I think that's too many!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I taught small classes and I loved it. The school where I taught has changed ratios and now has 15 in one class. That's too many for kids that age. The smaller classes really do make for a better learning environment.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My son's school has a ratio of 1:6... so there are two teachers at any given time and up to 12 kids. We had to register in feb the same year he started in September. For high demand schools, you have to register early. If a school fills up they will continue taking applications and put you on a wait list in case they get any spots open.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• thanks,,,,i'll decide which school and go ahead and fill out the papers.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Not sure where your located but in NJ the ratio for 3 year olds is 1:10 and 4 year olds 1:12. Most schools will try and keep it a little under the limit or have an assistant in the class. http://www.lilachieversnj.com
    lilachievers

Answer by lilachievers at 8:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2011