Has the doctor ever told u to give your 6 month old Triaminic?

My baby has been sick for about a week, he went to the doctor yesterday and he just said to give him a quarter of a teaspoon of triaminic. So I went to the store and bought some but on the side it says dont give it to anyone under 4 years old, you know usually when its tylenol it says for under 2 to ask a doctor. I just wonder if maybe i heard the doctor wrong or is it okay to give to my 6 month old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call the pharmacist. They will be able to look it up fast.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 8:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yes, my kids' pediatrician has said that before too. You could give it to your baby, but I really don't think it will help much. What are her symptoms? Try to treat those naturally. Saline drops and a bulb syringe for her nose will clear up congestion, a cool mist humidifier will help too. Hyland's makes these tablets called Sniffles and Sneezes, safe for any age, and they usually work for my youngest.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Sorry, I mean *he. Just realized you said it was a boy.

Also, the warning on the side that says under 4, ask a doc.....that's because people were overdosing their kids on it.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I agree with banana-bear. I would do the saline nose drops, suction the nose, use a vaporizer. I wouldn't give him Triaminic. The medicine probably won't even help. My dr did give my son some cold medicine one time. He said it might work, it might not. Since he is that young, the dosage has to be so little that it might not even help. Too much can be dangerous. Hope he feels better soon.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• When I had my older children, there WAS dosing on the side for children 6 months and older. It was then realized that some parents weren't being careful with the dosing. Some products were concentrated liquid suspension and other products were regular. Some products contained acetominphen and other products didn't Parents were giving the regular dose for the concentrated and other parents were double dipping on the acetominophen products. This was causing many children to become extremely ill on overdoses of medications.
    For safety reasons, it was cautioned that these products should not be used on children under two, then it was cautioned that it shouldn't be used in children under 4.
    They will try to say that there isn't any evidence that it really helps younger children, but even my pharmacist says that is an excuse.
    I still try all natural remedies first, but I did that will ALL of my kids.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i would try natural remedies first before i ever give any meds!! try a humidifier, hot showers, baby vicks on his feet! good luck hope he feels better soon!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2011