Seriously? China Bans Reincarnation Without Government Permission???

Okay, I've heard some crazy religious laws, but this is just to much!

"China has banned Buddhist monks in Tibet from reincarnating without government permission. According to a statement issued by the State Administration for Religious Affairs, the law, which goes into effect next month and strictly stipulates the procedures by which one is to reincarnate, is "an important move to institutionalize management of reincarnation."

By barring any Buddhist monk living outside China from seeking reincarnation, the law effectively gives Chinese authorities the power to choose the next Dalai Lama, whose soul, by tradition, is reborn as a new human to continue the work of relieving suffering.

t 72, the Dalai Lama, who has lived in India since 1959, is beginning to plan his succession, saying that he refuses to be reborn in Tibet so long as it's under Chinese control. Assuming he's able to master the feat of controlling his rebirth, as Dalai Lamas supposedly have for the last 600 years, the situation is shaping up in which there could be two Dalai Lamas: one picked by the Chinese government, the other by Buddhist monks."

Now, this article is actually a few years old, but it's so ridiculous I couldn't help but get the thoughts of all of you ladies...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. Leave it to a government to think they can control things like that. Geez.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• While I am not Buddhist and do not beleie in reincarnation I think it is absolutely ridiculous for a government to think they can control something like this. I have a feeling most Buddhists will not accept China's Dalai Lama as the Dalai Lama.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I wonder if the government approved Dalai Lama would actually accept the position - it seems anyone who would be willing to fill that role would be a glaring neon sign that screams "NOT THE REAL DALAI LAMA". Would it be possible to really raise someone in such a vacuum that they could be leader of a global religious organization like that and never be exposed to anyone who might decide to clue them in on the truth?

I keep picturing this Truman Show version of the Dalai Lama, never allowed to leave China, never allowed any exposure to any outside media or contact, contained by this buffer of complicit people who won't tell him the truth. I don't see how they could pull that off - he'd have to be so removed, nobody would know about him to accept him outside that little bubble.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I thought it was kind of silly until I hit this part:

"By barring any Buddhist monk living outside China from seeking reincarnation, the law effectively gives Chinese authorities the power to choose the next Dalai Lama, whose soul, by tradition, is reborn as a new human to continue the work of relieving suffering."

And then it all made sense. I knew about the Dalai Lama, I just wasn't thinking about it until that hit me and I put it together. I don't think that China can force the whole world to recognize their choice for the Dalai Lama, though. They might be able to enforce it within their own country, but the rest of the world would just reject their "choice", especially if Buddhist monks can find someone who actually fits the qualifications to be recognized as the reincarnation. I do think its funny that they think they can keep people outside of their jurisdiction from reincarnating, as though they have the authority...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• LOL I want to know the consequences of being re-born without permission. Also how would they test for that??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• That's pretty crazy. I'm sure no one would recognize a Dalai Lama selected by the Chinese government. The process of finding the Dalia Lama takes years (and any changes in the process happen if the majority of the people think the changes should occur). For those who believe that the Dalai Lama reincarnates by choice, he would never choose to reincarnate in China. The 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso has doubts about whether he will be reborn at all, but some believe that until Tibet is reunited with its spiritual leader, it's likely that there will be a Dalai Lama. He has said he will not be reborn in any country that is not free.

How they find the Dalia Lama
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• And they are going to control this HOW??
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

It doesn't matter if they can "metaphysically" control it. All that matters is they make it a crime to worship any Dalai Lama not chosen by the Chinese government. That's all the law really means. The question is if people will accept a State Sanctioned Dalai Lama or not. If history is any example, people were forced underground or put to death in Europe for centuries if they refused to convert to Christianity, but it didn't kill all the other religions that were there first. Will Buddhists in China go underground to worship what they really believe and pay lipservice to the Chinese version, or will they submit or rebel?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I would say that most Buddhists have respect and devotion for the Dalai Lama, and see him as a spiritual leader and great teacher. Most do not truly worship him (or the Buddha).

Apparently, China already named one boy Panchen Lama while the current Dalia Lama recognized another boy as Panchen Lama. Traditionally, the Panchen Lama recognizes the next Dalai Lama (and vice versa). I don't think they can really enforce this law anywhere besides China, but they may use it politically to have more power over Tibet in general and possibly with the rest of world economically if anyone recognizes another Dalia Lama.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Pam, that is an interesting concept. I didn't really think that far ahead. That has the potential to bring about world-wide economic decay. I now believe that the people who made this law must have either huge egos, or no brains.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2011