What is the average amount of time that dye jobs last?

I'm thinking of dying my hair for the first time. My hair used to be a strawberry blonde, and now it's going into a brown...? I want to make it lighter...but I want to know how often I would have to dye my hair to maintain what it looks like? My hair doesn't grow that fast...

Also, if anyone can give me some tips on what I should do...dye job or just highlights or something? I've never had my hair dyed...so i don't want to totally demolish it lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• the more change in color, the more committment you will need to recolor. if you want little committment, i suggest a few highlights.
    anytime you put an overall color on your hair, semi or permanent, you are affecting the entire head of hair..and you will see new growth probably within 2 weeks..a line of demarcation, all over your head (with permanent color). with semi, its supposed to fade gradually or shampoo out little by little, but your entire head is still affected, just not the same way as with permanent.

stick to a few highlights until you know how far you want to proceed into the world of haircoloring.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• 6 to 8 weeks. foiling lasts longer because it does not a total same color. Foiling also gets closer to the scalp than caps. It depends alot on the technician too. The foils should be fine and lots.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I was a strawberry blonde with a lot of red highlights so I decided to go red. Because of the red already in my hair I found that the red hair color lasts a lot longer. I do my own hair and I do it every 3 months. With very little root growth or if the roots show I do a root touch up. It is also recommended to use products for color treated hair. Good Luck!
    littlemissali

Answer by littlemissali at 9:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• If you're nervous about dying it for the first time, I suggest a shade that's not far from your natural color. Then if it goes well, expand your horizons a little.
    Usually the time span of a hair color depends on the brand, the color, how different it is from your natural color... everything. When you go darker it tends to last longer than if you lighten it, though it will lighten a little bit. Reds fade quickly and blondes can turn brassy. Most instructions inside the box will suggest dying it again in 6 weeks, and that's a good suggestion. It could be plenty faded by then, and roots will have grown in.
    Overall, follow instructions and you'll be fine.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2011