What do you do when time-out doesn't work?

What methods of discipline have you found effective, other than time-outs? Do you believe in spanking or no? If you re-direct, how do you go about that?

RobynS

Asked by RobynS at 1:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We have always used the time out method and around age 2 and 3 it was VERY HARD but we would have to sit right there and HOLD him in his spot almost for him to get the point. Now we take something he likes away for a day if he is bad. Im not big on spanking when he was younger (diaper age) we would tap him on the diaper or smack his hand if he was touching something he wasn't suppose to be touching, other than that we aren't the spanking type.
    allisha_mom2B2

Answer by allisha_mom2B2 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Beatings work well ;-) jk. Take away toys and privelages. It takes a lot of work over a period of time to change the behavior.
    amandae21

Answer by amandae21 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I rarely do time-outs, almost never now...I talk to my baby like he is an adult and explain to him why he can't do this and that. But before I explain things to him when he is in a cranky mood and throwing a fit, I let him cry a little bit. I tell him, you can cry baby it's okay. Just let mommy know if you feel better okay? Mommy's just here when you need her. Then when he stops crying, he approaches me and hugs me. Then I explain why he can't do things but it's okay to get cry if he is mad or upset.
    tatar

Answer by tatar at 1:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• You'll have to find what is going to work for him, obviously. If time-outs aren't working anymore then take privelages away. Can't go out to play. Can't watch his favorite show. Sometimes you just have to spank. If that is not what you are willing to do then try some of the above! Good luck honey!
    NicoleWienke

Answer by NicoleWienke at 1:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• talk to them. Amazingly we as adults forget how simple and literal a child’s language is. Talk to them in a calm non attacking tone, give them clear expectations - you would be amazed how something as clear as clean your room can be complex to a child. Instead of clean your room...be more specific...put your books on the shelf and your toys in the box, don't forget to make your bed. Giving children clear choices is another strategy I would recommend. it helps make them feel in control w/o you giving up control...and in turn they are more eager to do what is needed. I guess the best advice I could give is to listen to yourself talking to them than put yourself in their shoes (how would you feel, would you completely understand what is wanted/expected?) and make adjustments, you will def see a nice change relatively quickly.

good luck.
    Miranda1127

Answer by Miranda1127 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I believe in spanking, butt or legs when they are 3 or 4. I would FIRST take away ALL stimulation for every infraction. I used stand in the corner for years. Implement LONGER time outs. Eliminate ALL Sweets, until behavior changes. Explain to child "you can't have sugar because you will not behave." When the child starts behaving reintroduce sugar slowly. Be thorough mom, and stay consistent.
    tellis

Answer by tellis at 1:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Feel free to join my group Discipline - the right way for you
    JuliaMBrink

Answer by JuliaMBrink at 3:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I do spank but very rarely, if I've sent him to his home more then once for the same thing then i'll spank, actually it's more like one firm tap on his bottom. but I also take away toys, daily snack, story time, or make him take his nap early. all of these have worked for me. good luck.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 4:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• take away toys.take away tv.even take away mommy and me time.
    tracy20

Answer by tracy20 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I am going to be truthful, I do spank my son. I only give him one pop on the butt with my hand. Now this all depends on what he is doing if it is something little then I will take away tv or video games or toys, but when that dosen't work or it is pop worthy then yes I do spank. And you know what my son just turned 4 and he is one of the best behaved kids I know and he is happy and he is very loved.
    KiriandWyatt

Answer by KiriandWyatt at 12:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008