How hard do you think it will be to rent a house with 4 pets??

We are moving and for lack of time we are renting our house out. Which means we will have to rent one as well. We have 2 cats and 2 dogs. Both dogs are 4 years old under 25lbs and very well house trained. And cats are 14 and 3 and littler box trained one is de-clawed one is not.

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Pets

• This is what we did... our realtor suggested that we drive around a neighborhood we like and look for the handwritten rent signs or signs that say rent by owner. She said those people are usually just individuals trying to rent the house (as opposed to banks or companies) and are easier to bargain with as far as rent or pets go. That is how we wound up in the one we are in. We met up with the guy and explained that the dogs are house trained and up to date on shots and he finaly went for it. I did find that he (landlord) was A LOT easier to wheel and deal with than the companies I had talked to in the past. I hope that helps a little!
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 3:09 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• We have been in the same situation and it just depends. Most renters DO NOT want pets. Avoid any ads saying "NO PETS" and if you come across anyone who is skiddish about renting to pet owners, offer to pay an extra $10 a month per pet or something like that. Good luck!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I wish you the best luck, Iam not sure about it but we are currently trying to sell our house and have 2 cats 10 years old and 1 kitten 4 months old.. I hear that docks us in the housing market because for some reason, people associate cats with Urine..lol!~ I hope you and your family find a good place to live to bring your animal family with
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Well you might get lucky but I have never had an easy time finding a nice rental with pets, and that's only cats. You may be able to speak to the landlords individually... some people may want to meet your pets, and others may be willing to compromise with an additional pet deposit.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It's so hard to convince people!! Our pest are so clean and most people come in my house and don't even know I have any until they actually see them. We love them so much we don't want to have to decide who goes and who stays : (
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It will be very hard but you may find a place. my daughter had 4 dogs and 3 cats and got on older man to agree to let her have them. u just have to find the right person. mostly people in the country. if you dont mention the pets until you go to see the place, take them with you and let the landlord see them and he/she will have a hard time saying no. where my daughter live now it is $300.00 per pet per year and a 2 pet limit. she is friends with the manager so she gets away with more. her dogs are black and tan dashunds so she only lets one out at a time. the neighbors dont know it is different dogs. good luck
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Considering your dogs are small it may not be too hard, but i have 6 pets and renting is supper rough. Good luck!
    prettypaper

Answer by prettypaper at 1:36 AM on Jan. 30, 2011