How Much Food for Party?

DD turns 5 on February 2nd and her birthday party is the 5th. Out of all we have invited, 37 people will be there...17 kids and 20 adults.

We are going to have Dorito taco salad where everyone can make up their own using Doritos, meat mixture, lettuce, and cheese.......however, I cannot come up with how much of what to get.

I've already figured out how much Doritos (going to buy 7-8 bags of 12 mini bags)...but I am completely at a loss about hamburger, lettuce, and cheese!

Anyone good at figuring this kind of stuff up?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 9:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Taco in a bag, or a walking taco, are other names for it - @tootoo.

Anyway. When I make those...I bet we get 8 or more out of 1 pound of meat. Some people will want more, some will want less. So figure 1.5-2lbs of meat per bag of chips (you can get a case of 50 for $11 at Sam's, if you have those around).

Lettuce, I splurge and buy the shredded stuff, an 8oz bag doesn't go far for us though - we'll eat 3 in a meal and we have 6 of us (eating a minimum of 2 "tacos" each).

Cheese...a few pounds. Especially with Doritos, you won't want much IMO.

I would have a couple containers of sour cream, a couple jars of salsa, and maybe some black olives too. JMO.
    Anonymous

• Get way too much....It's better to have too much than not enough...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• do your best guess and then add an extra pound or even 2. it's something that freezes so well or can become the next nights hotdish
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• cheese = same....... buy MORE than you'll need, just in case. esp w/ cheese because it's something people often use lots of. extra cheese is SO easy to use up. you can even use shredded cheese in grilled cheese sandwiches .. nummers!

ditto for lettuce. just plan on lots of left overs and having salad for lunch the next couple days.

tacos are a weird food because people like different things and different amounts of things. good luck!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Why the mini bags?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Try to figure it out this way, 5 people per pound of beef, 2-3 tbsp of cheese per person, and 1 head of lettuce (shredded or finely chopped) per 10 people. Plus one extra to be safe.

If you need help you know where to find me :D

kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Make that Large containers of sour cream and salsa can by bought in large quantities
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2011