How clean is your childs room and how old are they?

My son is 3 and WE keep his room very clean, he puts away his toys every night before bed and we put away any games or toys away that don't belong in his room..I guess its just something I've done and wanted him to do since he could.. well I went to my in laws house and they have a 2 year old, 6 year old and a 13 year old.. they all have always had Mom or grandma clean their room, never ever had to take care of their toys etc.. so we are over there today playing and there is chocolate on the bed sheets, 2 dirty diapers in the bedroom drawers, messes of barbie shoes, clothes, every stuffed animal all over and crumbs of "something" all over different areas of the carpet.. now, I am by far a "Clean freak" but this seems like just plain old unsanitary... I actually told my son to take toys out of the room and lets play in the livingroom... is this snobby of me??

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I understand your frustration, I am a "clean freak"........ but even if I wasn't this is a very unsanitary situation. And it also says a whole lot about the parents (lazy). NOT ONLY DO THEY NOT TEACH THEIR KIDS TO CLEAN UP, BUT THEY OBVIOUSLY DON'T TEACH THEM MANNERS. I have a 10,8,3 year old and a new baby, and even when they don't clean up just to my liking I get off my but and do the rest. I had a very good good friend who was the same exact way, and her baby ended up having a roach crawl inside his ear because of the crumbs on the bedding....SOOO GROSS.I stopped going there because I was jeopardizing my kids health, and also because they were starting to realize the difference in Our home and theirs. they then started to try to pick up those habits. Hope this helped
    Monarchlov12

Answer by Monarchlov12 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My son is 16 months and I'm always cleaning his room. It's definitely clean all the time, but it gets messy often, with toys everywhere. I swear I must pick up toys around the house like 20 times a day. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• right now we share a room so it's always clean... but when we had our own place and he had his own room i always had his room clean too.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 9:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• my kids are 6 and 4 1/2 and their BED room doesnt count because it's totally self cleaning. 2 beds, 2 dressers, etc. I don't give a hoot if they make their beds, but they often do it for fun and because they know it makes me smile.

they have a large formal playroom and it must be immaculate at all times. I once even woke them up at midnight. I went down there to grab some laundry from the drier and saw their toys were trashed all over.... nononononono! I have high expectations of 1 toy, game, etc at a time. that way it doesn't become a disaster. they've been having friends over alot more often, though, and I do help them clean up after play dates. they have a lot of stuff and a lot of space and I pitch in so that their guest doesn't have to.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My girls are 9 and 10 and for the most part you can see the floor a little clutter but not too bad. They have cleaned their own room since they were old enough to walk pretty much (trust me they don't want me to clean their room they won't have anything left).
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• No, good habits are created while they are young. My son now 23 and living at home keeps his room spotless, his closet is meticulous, and he takes care of his things, does his own laundry and puts it away and does not want me to help, he was always been  a neat kid,  I feel lucky if I get to feed him.

Answer by older at 9:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• my daughter doesnt keep toys in her room..so its always clean..shes 6
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Fairly clean, but quite messy.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Oh Good, I felt like a snob or something, I am not usually a critical person but wrappers of who knows what and all the clothes torn from the drawers and hangers and just garbage and food all over, you seriously would not be able to even vaccum in there, and it looked exactly the same when we were there on christmas so I know its been at LEAST that long.,.. but I assume much longer.. the thing that got me was the "chocolate" ( which now has me thinking,... what if it was really poop? ) and the nasty diapers in her room.. I mean, she is 6, they were from her sister who is 2 and has her own room so really... gross... and 2?? I feel lucky because not only do we try to instil the cleaning but my son was born the neat freak, hangs up his jacket and puts his shoes where they belong without being told at 3 and actually telling ME to put my things away loL~
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• * plus i know its easier for me to keep up on with only having 1 child so I am far from bashing and really just wondering *
    maxsmom11807