Nap VS No Nap

Our son is 3 and we are debating wether to have his daycare provider stop giving him naps.. he IS napping there , so clearly he needs it.. they are on the average of 2 hours long but when he does have a nap, he won't go to bed til 10 to 11 and my husband worksnights so that is hard on our family.. also, when he does get naps, he sleeps SO bad.. like waking 3 to 4 times a night, very restless.. he's never been a good sleeper so I am having a hard time blaming the waking at night ONLY on napping but it seems to be some what consistant.. we can't get this child to nap at ALL at home and that's been since he was 2 so I think it must be the extra children stimulation and activites ( although we try to keep him fully busy ) making him sleep there.. but would this lack of sleeping through the night and staying up late have you asking your provider to stop his naps? I feel guilty because if he is sleeping, clearly he needs it and i hate what feels like punishing him from sleeping because it doesn't work with my husbands hours - but at the same time.. he can't be getting REM sleep waking 3- 4 times a night either so that worries me... what would you do?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 2yr old daughter seems to get so much more sleep when she doesnt have a nap. when we use to give her a nap she would fight us and be up until midnight sometimes. no matter what time we put her down for a nap. she can be a devil when she doesnt get sleep. so IF needed ill let her sleep for an hour. then she seems to get to bed around 9 now. No nap is so hard on myself and my daughter but i find it worth it.... i almost say tell them to stop with the naps.. to see if he will go to bed earlier for you.,.give it a try see what happens =)....not sure if that helped.
    KCsMom08

Answer by KCsMom08 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Continue naps. I imagine everyone takes a nap at the daycare. I would look for other things that is causing his sleep problems at home. What happens when he wakes up. What time does he get up in the morning? give him a warm bath just before bed and quiet time.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• You can always try it and see. If it helps, then you'll know and can keep doing it that way. If it doesn't, then they can start putting him down for naps again.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I would stop the naps. Children are unique but I have never had a child keep napping past the age of 2 except 1. I have 11.
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 10:11 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My son stopped napping regulary at 2 years old. He still had to lay down and rest at day care, but he rarely slept.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I would try taking the naps away and see if it helps out as suggested eariler. Your reasoning seems very logical. You can always go back to it if you need to. My kids didn't nap after age 2
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:41 AM on Jan. 30, 2011