How long did you wait until you got a child you adopted? Foster/adopt or just adopt.

We have been waiting since April of '09. We just got qualified for foster to adopt June of '10. We are getting a little sad because we really want to give a child a family they long for so much. Its not like we haven't been open about who we want to adopt either. We don't care about race and we are open for the ages up til 12. We have sent out over 15 home studies to 20 different kids (some sibs). How long is the longest you ever waited for an adopted child?

dragonqueen

Asked by dragonqueen at 9:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Adoption

• Oh wow.. with so many children to adopt from those ranges, that seems plain WRONG to have to wait that long.. Good Luck to you!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• From the time we applied to our agency, to the time we had our daughter in our arms, was right at 4 years. We adopted from China and the wait gets longer every month.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 1:42 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• What does your case worker seem to feel is the problem?
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I do not understand why it would be taking you so long to adopt from foster care. I also have thought about adopting from foster care, but have heard sometimes it takes years. I will never understand why-If they have so many children needing homes. Thank God we did go on to adopt privately. I hope and pray soon you will get your little blessing. Don't give up keep pushing as to why a child is not placed with you.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• We waited 18 to adopt our twins. Please join my group here on CM M.A.M.A. (Making Adoption More Affordable). There are lots of people you can use as resources.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 7:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• 18 months. Sorry about that.
    TALuke

• Have you gotten no placements in all that time? Wow! We adopted both of our kids through domestic infant adoption (Catholic Charities). Both times, it took about four years from start to finish (contacting the agency, going through their training, wait list, showing our profile, being chosen). It just takes a while. Both times, just when we thought it was never going to happen, we were surprised by a phone call from our worker. Hang in there.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• maybe the Adoption worker (for the kids find us to be too young? I don't know what is wrong.) I mean we are 26 years old. DH and I have always been a lot more mature than our age. I know some 26 year olds that still have a party life getting drunk etc. So for all I know they may be working off that stereotype. We are not like that at all though. We hardly drink (maybe two or three times in the last year) we don't smoke or do drugs, we own our own home (bought it before we even turned 24!) My husband has worked at the same place for 10 years working his way up the latter the whole time. We are pretty responsible people! I can't think of any reason for them not to pick us as parents, except that wa may be too young. Its not like we don't have any experience with kids either. we have two daughters and our oldest is turning 5 this year. Its a little frustrating.
    dragonqueen

Comment by dragonqueen (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I'm also 26 and my DH and I would also like to adopt, but I think part of the problem is that the age range that you're willing to host might wind up being part of the downfall - simply because at age 12, the child would only (basically) be half your age. They might not even be considering kids that old for you and your DH. Best of luck to you guys!!
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• my mother is still waiting, I am now 29 years old she adopted me when I was 4 she never heard from the agency, she found out about me from a lady at a conference. :)
    MrsWeathers

Answer by MrsWeathers at 9:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2011