Child Support!!!

I moved from Boston to Georgia in 2008 and filed for child support in febuary of 2010 for my sons father who has not seen him for 3 years m son was born in 2007 and we had to move due to domestic and from him leaving us to be in another relationship..he finaly recieved a letter today and he says that they told him not to send any money until he calls them or until they make a court hearing date or something..im new to this so im not sure he wont read the letter to me so i have no clue how true it is..he started sending money in May of 2010 every 2 weeks so 300 amonth but he is not consistent he would give me 150 every 2 weeks for a month or 2 then for 5 months he wouldnt send none..here in Georgia they refused to give me medicare for my son who has asthma unless i put his father who lives in Boston on child support and i hope it goes through for my son because hes starting school soon and his father hasnt been as helpful as he should im glad he sending money but he only started to send money when i said i was putting him on child support sorry im babbling if someone can help me understand what this letter says they sent him or who understands more about child support could help i would appreciate it...

ProudMami1990

Asked by ProudMami1990 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it is good to let the state handle the child support that way you do not need to remind or argue. Just let the state do what they can and you take care of the child. The realtionship between you and the child's father can be just about the child and not arguing over money.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Do you have a court order for child support? If not he may be waiting for a court order. But it kind of sounds like he's lying. Who in the world would tell a man not to support his own child or children?
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 10:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Every state is different with their childsupport laws, so it's hard to say what the letter stated. I know where I live you have to go to a hearing so the amount of childsupport can be ordered. Plus, payments have to go through a payment center so that the amount can be tracked. They always advise to not send payments directly to the mother..it's harder to trace..and then a "he said she said" fight can break out when discussing how much was actually paid already. I have 5 kids with 2 dads and both fathers have their wages garnished every paycheck. If I didn't go that route I wouldn't see a dime. I didn't have a lawyer, I just contacted childsupport enforcement and went from there. Thats crazy about the medicare, my son also has asthma and I don't know what i would do if I didn't have medical coverage for him. Good Luck and I hope everything works out for you!
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• yea i recieved a letter from the responding state (boston) that they had recieved my petition for child and that i would have to wait for furhter notice of activity for this case umm...and then out of no where i call my sons father and he said he recieved papers from child support stating him not to send any money until they can come up with a hearing date for him to go to court and the thing is he is a lier a good one at that and he has all the receipts from him sending money would that affect form the years he didnt send money idk but i just dont want him to lie his ass out of paying my son money he deserves.. i thought he was lying too but he said he was going to read me the letter tomorrow but stuff like this i tend to take seriously..he didnt help or pay since 2007 when my son was born and started to send money in 2010 when i was filing for child support so 2 years or so of not paying/helping/or seeing his child
    ProudMami1990

Comment by ProudMami1990 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• That is really crazy..they will take into account how much he has paid so far and make a judgement on how much he still needs to pay now and for back childsupport. If he gets a tax refund they will take it from him and send it to you, to go towards back childsupport. I will never understand why some men think it's ok not to help with their kids? My exhusband would change jobs and not tell anyone where he was working, until childsupport finally caught up with him. He stopped doing that when he realized I would get his tax return every year. So either way my kids would get the support they needed. He still thinks I'm just being a greedy bitch, but thats not it at all. It is expensive to raise kids and get them everything they need.
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 10:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• he pays 150 every 2 weeks and i find myself every week in need of money for my son and he thinks that im just being greedy of selfish or money hungry they call it but im tryna care for my kid..all of sudden when i state that ill be going through child support he asked me and beg me for him to send money cuz before when he had found out i got into another relationship he flipped y would u be mad if u lefted what u had to be with another women..so he was like well the ni**** knew u had a kid so let him pay and take care of him and shyt thats what he did cuz my fiance loves my son like he is his own but having to care for another and work and pay the bills and so forth is alot and im not working right now cuz of child care..my ex would work 2-3 jobs at a time and now he act like he can hold one but he lies to me about how many job he has and hrs he work.if i gotta be a bitch to get u to take care of ur own thats what ima do
    ProudMami1990

Comment by ProudMami1990 (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Good for you! It's awesome your fiance is so supportive of your kids. But your ex needs to be taking care of his own. Keep pushing..he doesn't want you to go after him for childsupport because he knows he'll have to pay. I would deffinitely try and get a garnishment order..that way he will have no choice but to pay.
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2011