how can I make my 6 yrs old to behave? adult content

my 6yrs old only listens to me. she is good with a lot stuff.she helps everyonebut she has this annoying habit,she doesn'y play herself or sit doing something .she followes me or any other family member all the time.we give her fair attention but sometimes it just drive us crazy.i want her to listen to everyone.My in-laws lives with me.she gets mad at grandma all the time and i don't like when some one hurts her feelings but i can't say anything to mother in law so i usally gets mad at my daughter.any helful tips to deal with her.

kiran595

Asked by kiran595 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She doesn't sound like she's misbehaving. She's just being herself. Tell her what you want her to do if you don't want her following you around.
    Anonymous

• ok, i dont want to stand on a soap box but i have 4 boys and 1 of them got suspended 3 times as a second grader, i wont go into too many details but one of the suspensions was for peeing on a classmate in the restroom. I had my husband give a SERIOUS disappointment speech when he got home from work and we grounded him from TV and video games for 2 weeks. I explained to him that when your the class clown even if your not guilty the teacher is going to believe the student who behaves every time. We started taking all of our kids to church on wed and sundays (including bible class on sunday) and got the 2 other boys registered in a charter school for the next year. I don't know which one of those actions caused the positive change but out "trouble" maker went from barely getting b's to straight a's the next school year. My best guess is with the routine churching and more challenging school environment he saw the light
    Chriswith4kids

Answer by Chriswith4kids at 10:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• we did that. and i want her to get along with grandma.Their fights getting on my nerves.They both are same stubborn.
    kiran595

Comment by kiran595 (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I wish i had a better answer for you, trust me i know where you are at. We always knew we were consistent with all our kids and couldn't understand the different behavior in one. I honesty think it takes each child different amounts of time to be where they should be. Maybe we ask grandpa to disengage from potential comments/actions that would cause an interaction. Then later we tell our child that specific situation where grandpa ignored you was wrong...
    Chriswith4kids

Answer by Chriswith4kids at 12:22 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• You might set up a rules/kindness list for her and the grandma to follow. Go over it with both of them. You might give grandma a heads up about it and say you are trying something new to get your daughter to be better. DD could get stickers for doing the kind things on the chart. Just an idea. Think out of the box on this.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would start by sitting them both down with hubby and go over the "house" rules for behavior. And encourage you daughter and grandma to try and find some activities they like to do together, cards, checkers, crafts, cooking, baking, gardening, walking, . . . . . etc. To help them develop a positive relationship.
    Also the following thing; my oldest used to do this, then we found those learning books, maze and sticker activity books, a cash register. Real life learning toys are her favorite kind. And going over to the neighbor girl's house or her coming over. My oldest just doesn't have much of an imagination, thus wants real play mates. My youngest is just the opposite.
    Also a timer set for 15 min at first of time she has to entertain herself. Slowly stretch this time out, before setting the timer talk with her about what she could do for that time to help facilitate it or start her on an activity.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I know what you mean, it sounds like she is trying to find her sense of self. She will grow quickly out of it. Have fun with the following you around part, Make funny faces when she does it. She loves you. As for the fights with Grandma, Hug her to see if your little darling will follow you in that, too. If it becomes a habit, you all win!
    Avitar

Answer by Avitar at 1:04 AM on Feb. 2, 2011