Induction with Cervidil

Tomorrow night they are starting me on cervidil and Monday morning they'll be putting me on Pitocin. Is it possibly for me to start going in labor just from the cervidil? I'm nervous about the Pitocin because I've heard it can affect the baby's heartbeat?

Does the cervidil hurt? Did it start up any contractions for any of you?
Also, im worried the induction won't work and I'll have to get a c-section...My due date is exactly on Monday and I haven't been showing any signs of labor, haven't lost mucus plug and haven't felt any contractions! Please any advice/suggestions :)

YaneLove

Asked by YaneLove at 10:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It is possible that the Cervadil will be enough. It all depends on how your body reacts and how close you are to going in to labor on your own. The Cervadil itself doesn't hurt. It gave me great contractions, but ZERO progress. It was 12 hours of regular, strong contractions that got me nowhere. The Pitocin was the only thing that actually made me start to (slowly) dilate, and for my second induction, we didn't bother with the Cervadil. I was induced well before my due date both times though, so that's probably why the Cervadil didn't do much. Since you're closer, you might have better results with it. Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It does hurt for some, not for others. Hopefully you won't have to use Pitocin.

There is a risk for a cesarean so avoiding or waiting for a good Bishop's Score is worth it if you can.

Why are you inducing?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I am getting induced because I have no signs of going into labor. No contractions, no discomfort or pain NOTHING. so my Dr decided to just induce me since I'm so uncomfortable already. I've only dialated about a finger tip and baby seems to still be up high.
    YaneLove

Comment by YaneLove (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Did your doctor explain how this is totally unnecessary and adding unnecessary risks to you and your baby then?
    A due date is a mid-point within the average (estimated) due period.
    Not an Expiration Date.
    ;- /

You don't need to have any signs of labor prior to going into labor, no reason to think you should~

I just want to point this out because it sounds like you may be unaware.
    It's safer to await spontaneous labor than to add these risks by forcing things that aren't yet ready.

And your doctor offers services but *you* decide.
    If you have questions or concerns go ahead and ask them~ I STRONGLY encourage you to make informed decisions.

I have a lot of info if you would like some help.
    You might consider a birth doula if you want some extra advocacy in-person.

Let me know~
    Wishing you the best, a safe, happy, healthy birthing experience!!
    :-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• So what do you think I should do? This is my first baby so I really don't know just going by what the Dr tells me. He gave me this option and I went with it because Im just so incomfortable already. He also gave me the option of waiting a few days after my due date which is Monday and if Nothing happens then he can go with the induction.
    YaneLove

Comment by YaneLove (original poster) at 2:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I had an induction with cervidil it is thin about as thin a your finger nail and it has a string on it they put it in like they are doing and exam i believe right above the cervix. within an hour or 2 I started having strong contactions. Relax you baby is ready to come out mine was induced at 36 weeks healthy and perfect!:) just breath it will be ok! :) so excited for you it's the best experience of your life!
    s_toman7

Answer by s_toman7 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Thanks to all who answered! My baby boy was born Monday Jan 31 2011 And was a healthy 7lbs 9oz 20inch beautiful baby boy!
    YaneLove

Comment by YaneLove (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Feb. 2, 2011