Does it bother you to live above/below/next to other people?

I know some people don't seem to mind, but I do. For the last hour or so I have been listening to my neighbor next to us (we live in a townhouse) going up and down their stairs and slamming their front door. It bothers me so much that it makes my head want to explode lol. I'm trying to stay civil with my neighbors until we can buy a single family home, but it's very hard for me to tolerate them!! Anyone else deal with this every single day and just have to suck it up?

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Thats why I was so happy when we moved into our own home we have no neighbors next to us its wonderful.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I always liked the noises when we lived in apartments....unless they were fighting, which was rare.....My adult daughter, on the other hand, does not tolerate it at all.....I don't understand it, I guess, but that's because it doesn't bother me.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It depends on the neighbor. We had some really nice neighbors next to us who would turn down music, etc. if we asked them too. But in the same building we had horrible neighbors right above us. We asked them if they could be more quiet when they go up and downstairs....what do they do? purposly stomp downstairs(worse than usual) immediatley after talking them.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 10:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My last duplex, the bedroom walls were adjoined. I swear to God there was absolutely NO insulation between them. We could hear every move they made. We finally had to switch bedrooms. This current townhouse I have yet to even hear the neighbors. He said there was about a foot of concrete between the walls. I'm not sure I could ever go back to apartment living... I hate even being on anything but the top floor at hotels! LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I lived in one apartment with inconsiderate people who lived upstairs. They would come home from working their 3pm to 11pm shift and decide to have a party. That was frustrating
    My second apartment, I had elderly people living upstairs, I rarely heard them.
    I do prefer living in my single home. It doesn't matter when I want to do something, I don't worry if I'm disrupting someone else.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I sleep in a basement and there's four kids above me and my parents. Hate the noise!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 10:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yes, I moved out of the apartment I had for 10 years, into a house. I NEVER want to have to share a common wall, floor, or ceiling with other people ever again!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 10:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it doesn't. The only noise we hear is from our upstairs neighbors, they have a ten year old son, and of course he's going to bounce around some. Sometimes the adults forget that they do indeed live in an apartment building and stomp around, but mostly it's just their kid and I can deal with that. Kids are going to make noise.
    The apartment we used to live in, the neighbors were terrible. They threw dirty diapers and trash out of their window and it landed in front of our window. They also terrorized my dog. They got several lease violations from our (and others) complaints against them and weren't allowed to re-sign their lease.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• This is our 2nd time living in a duplex with a shared wall. We are blessed this time with pretty good neighbors but still it does get annoying and really sucks when they get loud and the kids start screaming at 2am.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 10:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yes! i hav a nieghbor who plays music all thru the night... it doesnt matter the time. It can b 2 oclock in the morning.. They r loud & disrespectful to every one in the complex.. Then the run up & dwn the stairs all thru the night fighting and yelling! It didnt use to b this way until we got new management & now they move anyone in jus for the money
    tiamesmer

Answer by tiamesmer at 10:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2011