violent temper tantrums help!!!

My ds is about to turn 3 in april. His temper tantrums are so violent idk what else to do! He has gotten to the point that he actually bit himself so hard that he bled! I am a firm believer in spanking, time outs, corner, sending him to his room everything. I have even tried splashing a small amt of water on his face to see if he would snap out of it. Nothing seems to work I have been extreamly conscience to be consistant bc I have seen what not bn consistant does! I set rules and boundries and don't let him get away with things that he knows not to do. I am at my wits end and I'm expecting another boy in april as well! I am at a loss and could really use some posative and helpful advice

bnrsmom

Asked by bnrsmom at 10:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Look into the feingold diet... and see if that helps....sometimes it's food allergies....Also, is he getting enough sleep? And plenty of fresh air and sunshine? Try giving him a teaspoon of honey when he seems hyper....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Is this recent or his previous behavior as a toddler? My son is 3 and also started talking back and screaming and hits himself in the belly and tries to punch anyone around him.. which is SOOO Not his personality or character.. remember boys at this age still have as much testosterone as an adult, they have NO idea how to use it.,. and from what I hear, 3 is possibly, one of the harderst ages for Most parents.. I wish you the best of luck and hope its just a phase for your sake:) GL
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• He gets plentt of exercise I feel like he is constantly bouncing off the walls! Lol he sleeps at least 12 hours every night and takes a 2 hour nap just about every day. He has always been a very good child never throwing tantrums in public no back talking no biting or pinching or anything! I have always gotten comments on how such a well behaved young man he is! Then all of a sudden about 3 or 4 months ago he just started biting. So to prevent him from hurting me or himself for that matter I use the "legally" accepted way of restraining him so he wouldn't harm himself. I just have no idea what else I can do to get him to stop :(
    bnrsmom

Comment by bnrsmom (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My son is turning 4 in February. Suddenly he has turned into this monster.. I came home from the hospital and asked my husband who took my son and replaced him with this... child. I just have to keep trying to calm him down and reminding him that isn't how we act. Sometimes children are looking for a way to show their emotions and don't know how yet. They have to be taught that it is okay to be upset but hitting and bitting and tantrums are not okay. Leith is doing better but still it is a work in progress good luck.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 11:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Maybe there's something about his day that he doesn't like and is lashing out? Is he in daycare and maybe doesn't like someone there?
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 12:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Get some professional opinions on this. Start with your pediatrician and ask for some referrals. Don't let him/her brush you off. I wish you, and him, the best
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:59 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• He isn't in preschool yet but he will be attending a special preschool this april he was born 2 1/2 months early and is a little delayed but ty all for the advice I just didn't want to overreact to his temper I thought it was normal or wanted to see if it was ty ty ty ty so much!
    bnrsmom

Comment by bnrsmom (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2011