How long does postpartum last for 1st time mothers?

1ZomB-Mom

Asked by 1ZomB-Mom at 10:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• It depends on the person. It can start right away or onset within a year. Treatment can last as little as 6 months. I found out I had post-partum anxiety and I was on meds for 6 months and then good. Do you need help? Message me if you have questions.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I never thought that it could happen to me, but I'm sure every new mom says that...then again i also never thought it would have happened so fast the way it came on...my 2nd day home and i was crying like i was the newborn, lol..i talked to my doctor and he put me on some anti-depressants, i have like 2 weeks left so i keep telling myself that I'm ok, i have my routine and that everything is fine but is it ok that I'm 2nd guessing/doubting myself...i don't want to be on pills forever but then again i don't want to be a cry baby or not the best mom i can be for my baby boy...
    1ZomB-Mom

Comment by 1ZomB-Mom (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I was 18 when i had my first and i am 52 now and still suffer. i have chronic depression and anxiety. i hope you dont have it this long. good luck and talk to sunshine above. it helps to have someone to listen to you and offer help
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 10:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• sometimes its just "baby blues" my PPD lasted for well in to a year and I was on antidepressants..its hard to say why it happens to some and not to others.. Dr told me that hormones go back to "normal" after 12 months but I am not sure about that either.. I think in no way was I prepared for how much guilt came with parenting anyway, besides the PPD or if that added to it.. don't think about the what if's of being on meds forever, feel that if they are wokring now, you will face what you need to later, but right now, this is necessary to PREVENT not being the best mom you can.. since having my son and after my PPD, I still cry over every little thing and I wasn't like this before, I even cried at Chucky Cheese at my son's 3 year birthday party... lol.. I wish you the best of lcuk and I am sure you are doing better than you give yourself credit for!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• thanks ladies! :-)
    1ZomB-Mom

Comment by 1ZomB-Mom (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• You should really be going to counseling along with the anitdepressants. That is the best way to treat any type of depression. The length of time it takes to get over PPD or any type of depression depends on each person. If you feel you aren't better than you need to get a referral to a counselor for treatment.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2011