• In the Spotlight:

Do you buy your under 18 year old cigarettes?

My daughter told me she started smoking when she was 13 years old. My husband and I do not smoke. She has been asking me to buy her cigarettes for a couple of months now. She does not work so the money comes from my pocketbook. My daughter also has bipolar and anger issues and depression. If I do not buy the cigarettes she acts out so horribly. I have 6 months to go until her 18th birthday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• considering it's ILLEGAL to do that, I'd have go with a big fat NO to her.
    Anonymous

• I personally would not I am not gonna help my child kill themself. I would not care how big of a fit she threw she would have to get a job and use her own money
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 10:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Oh hell no...
    Anonymous

• I don't smoke and never have, but one of my best friend's moms bought cigarettes for her before she turned 18. Now she's more than addicted and she probably won't ever stop. It's really sad...I don't want her to have lung issues when she's 40 *sigh* DO NOT BUY THEM FOR HER! It's illegal, that should be the best reason you have.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My mom bought them for me when I was underage. Of course she only did it because she smoked herself and was a horrible parent. Now it's one of the many reasons I despise her so I would have to say no not a good idea.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• First of all buying her cigarettes is not going to solve her behavioral problems. You need to be her mother and stand up to her, and teach her why they are not good for her. You also need to tell her that you WILL NOT buy them for her and that she CAN NOT smoke in your house or in your presence. It's disrespectful to you and your home. If she is only six months away from being 18 then she should be old enough to understand what it's like to be an "adult". Good luck!!!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 11:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• How about buying her Nicoderm or something to HELP her get over her addiction, not fueling it?
    TrevorsMommy03

Answer by TrevorsMommy03 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• HELL NO. I smoked for 25 years with a couple breaks for being pregnant. Quitting was the hardest thing I did. I stole cigs from my parents starting at 13 and they never knew. It is illegal to buy her cigs and it is the absolute worst thing for her. Get her medical help instead.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My husband said just change the wording, "my daughter is addicted to (heroin)" should I buy it for her? You can substitute any illegal substance there. It is illegal.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Absolutely not! What does that say to your dd? "my parents don't give a hoot about me" "my health means nothing to them" "i'm a loser". Do we stop caring about our kids once they turn 18? Mental illness isn't easy but giving in to avoid a tantrum by doing something illegal is just wrong.
    Peacein

Answer by Peacein at 11:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2008