Hitting

I babysit a 2 and half year old little girl that terrorizes my 1 and half little boy. She is always hitting him and taking his toys. Her parents tell me to have him hit her back so she will learn not to hit. To me that sounds a little barbaric. I know that they don't spank her but they tell me to spank, something I will not do I'm not sure what do with this, I have to watch them like a hawk.

MelissaCarole

Asked by MelissaCarole at 10:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is what works for us. If my son is too rough, and hits, I tell him "No hitting, soft touch", and I take his hands and run them over my face softly. If my son doesn't want to share, I tell him something like "you need to share your toys, or mommy will take them away". Sometimes he ignores this, so I give him the 1, 2, 3 (at three he gets flicked, which he really doesn't like). Pretty much always he will say "okay" and share at 2. If it is a special toy, I will tell the other kid, "this is a special toy, how about if we share a different toy with you".
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 3:29 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Oh, i forgot, to mention, if I say I will take away the toys, at three, after the flick, I also take away the toy. Only for a little bit (like a minute), and then I ask him if he wants it back. He will say yes, and I'll make him say "please" and "thankyou". By the way, my son will be 2 in march.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 3:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Make sure she gets enough one on one attention from you. Plus praise when she does things right. She may be going for negative attention if she is not getting enough positive attention. Show her gentle touching and monitor her closely. It is difficult for children to share at this young age. With my boys at these ages I sat on the floor with them and guided their play. Keep each one interested in something different. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• She is the youngest and doesn't have to share in much in her house because she is the "baby". My ds is a full year younger than she is but he will usually share his toys. But when he is playing with a toy she justs walks up out to the blue and hit's him pushes him down and takes the toy from him. I take it back and give it to him and tell her don't hit. I have been trying to give her a little more attention, it's been halping a little. If I catch 2 kids fight over the same toy I will take it until they figure out how to share it. But even if my son just gives her the toy and gets another one, she will drop that and go try to take the toy he has.
    MelissaCarole

Comment by MelissaCarole (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• unsure hun but the soft touch thing may work
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2011