If a doctor produced scientific proof that vaccines can cause autism, do you think ...

... this doctor would be celebrated or attacked by the drug and medical establishment?

(Remember, there are millions upon millions of dollars at stake -- in terms of law suits, and lost revenue.)

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 11:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Health

• I imagine he would be labeled a quack and shunned by the medical community.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I have no idea, but it isn't going to happen because vaccines have been scientifcally proven to not cause autism. Autism is a genetic disorder that can be brought on from biologically or environmental factors, like many disorders.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• LOLE.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 11:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• lol attacked! and there are 100 different reason y we dont vax and autism was not high on that list at all!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My son has autism.. and really I think it was the vaccines that I got while pregnant.. I got my MMR and that has been linked to autism.. it bothers me so much that people joke about this or turn a blind eye to it. The mercury they are using to preserve the vaccine is known to cause issues but they are saying the levels are low enough that it is safe.. really I don't want any type of poison in my body thank you very much no matter how little it is.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 11:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• You are missing the question. I'm not asking about what is commonly said or accepted.

I'm asking what you think would happen to a doctor who actually produced scientific evidence of such a connection.

ss_mom

Comment by ss_mom (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Regarding mercury in the vaccines:

- for each dose of vaccine, there is a 'dose' of an accelerant, usually mercury, to stimulate the immune system to develop antibodies, etc.
    - for each disease included in the vaccine, there is a separate dose of accelerant. So MMR (3 vaccines in one) has a triple dose of mercury.
    - It is now common practice for babies to get 3 or more vaccines, each with multiple doses of this dangerous heavy metal, in one visit.
    - most of the vaccines used in the US are produced in China - where the US inspectors are rarely allowed to check the quality of the products, and when they do, they may only test the samples that are given to them. Not the random testing we generally expect.
    ss_mom

Comment by ss_mom (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• The link between autism and vaccines has already been disproved by several studies, so if a Dr came along and showed evidence that vacs. caused autism he'd probably be ignored by the vast majority, because there are several, as in more then one, studies that show this is not true. It would take several Dr.'s with several successful studies showing the direct correlation between autism and vaccines for the vast majority of people to believe it.
    Autism is a genetic disorder who's exact cause has not yet been determined, just like many many other unknown caused genetic conditions. The symptoms of autism vary so greatly because they're believe to be influenced by environmental and biological factors. A Dr. might in the future be able to prove autistic behaviors are influenced by vaccines, but it'd be awfully hard to prove they actually cause autism.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It appears you are asking a theorhetical question and not debating whether or not vaccines are linked to autism. So... my two cents? I would think he would be celebrated, because then the medical community would get to spend money trying to come up with cures or ways to make vaccines safer.. theorhetically, of course, lol.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 3:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Don' know if this post is a part in this chat or not, and I am clear in left field, but having make a choice get vaccines or not because there might be a link to autism, I think I rather have my daughter diagnosed with autism , then die from one of those diseases that she has to have a vaccine against but didn't get it. Like measles, mumps, and Rubella or the meningococcal (?) disease. To me since these diseases ususally are fatal, and probably painful, and I would not want to see my daughter suffering.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:03 AM on Jan. 30, 2011